Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Costume tutorials while building: SW: The Old Republic: Jedi Guardian (2014 Build)

Default Costume tutorials while building: SW: The Old Republic: Jedi Guardian (2014 Build)

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Here I will be building and showing my best attempt at a tutorial for making (My 1st Attempt sewing) a Jedi Guardian costume. The sections shall consist of:

Using Pepakura style modified files for foam and descriptions for the armor
    Resources on where to get the materials (U.S. Territories)
    Links to Videos where I learned
    Photo's galore of my progress and to show examples.

Please be patient for this build will take a long time. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is encouraged. Being a fan of making things I can appreciate a short thread. So, although I appreciate positive feedback, please keep it to a minimum and simply message me for questions. Please let visitors to this thread able to quickly scan the thread without having to click page after page of comments that could be directed through private messaging.

So here it goes.

Reference pics as I have found for details...

JediKnight-TOR.jpg

TORJedi.jpg

What is Pepakura?

Basically there are really smart and talented folks out there who have rendered 3D virual images of your favorite characters. Master Chief, Storm Troopers yadda yadda... So, these fine additions to the human condition convert these images into a program called pepakura that allows you to print off paper (Usually Cardstock - Available at most office supply stores including Wal-Mart, I recommend 110lbs). You cut the peices out and glue them together (using a hot glue gun/sticks works best) and with some skill and imagination you can construct a real 3D model of your desired piece.

The website to download the "viewer" : http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

The viewer allows you to manipulate the piece(s) but you cannot save the changes. The "designer" allows you to save the changes you make.

I suggest you check out these videos to better understand:

Here's another for sizing: VERY IMPORTANT!!

On this forum you can see (towards the bottom of the 1st page) how the foam or cardboard can be manipulated to get the lines, layers and or curves you want. Other than that I encourage you to simply type keywords like "foam, pepakura" into youtube and surf.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/jfcustoms-foam-files-148889/

Tools you'll need.

Various thicknesses of pens/pencils.
    Card Stock Paper
    Printer
    Scissors
    Hobby/X-Acto Knife or similar cutting tool - Keep in mind the thickness of the material you are cutting (Thick foam or thin paper)
    Glue (Preferably Hot Glue Gun with High Heat Sticks)
    Scotch Tape
    (Spray Adhesive Optional)
    Measuring tape (The kind that seamstresses use NOT the kind that carpenters use)
    Foam: It can be various styles, thicknesses but this is what I'll be using...

http://www.sears.com/best-step-antif...3&blockType=G3

and

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...et-3mm-288019/

**Mind you. You can do an alternative method that uses pepakura and cardboard or fiberglass resin with automotive body filler (Bondo). Again, youtube... this is a foam build tutorial for us cheapskates**
    Last edited by Echo4Delta; 01-15-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Add materials

Now, onto the base layer...

As seen in the picture below we want to find the right fabric to match our bodysuit where the armor connects. Iv'e narrowed it down to two kinds thanks to the folks at the RPF.

TORJediarrow.jpg

Fabric #1:

http://styletex.com/styletex/%28S%28...ookieSupport=1

Fabric #2:

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/bro...ne-fabric-.htm

I will try to see if local stores have any and when I settle on one.. I'll post pics and links.

I found a guy at the RPF.com (Firefek) who SOLD me the files for $55.

Example of what it looks like on Pepakura designer...

IMG_20140110_161410_435.jpg

I've learned that the more you can print or shape in fewer pieces the better.

This is what I have so far... The Chest Piece... no need to print out the whole thing... just one half and simply flip the paper to do the other side...

IMG_20140110_161346_701.jpg
    Last edited by Echo4Delta; 01-12-2014 at 03:28 PM.

looks good so far

I forgot to mention. All the measurements in Pepakura viewer/designer is in Centimeter (Cm). So, when measuring yourself or whomever, use CENTIMETER. And do it before you even THINK about printing anything. Here's how you do the scaling...

Scaling in Pep.jpg

the measurements are in three digits. For example: If you measure 32 then you should type in 320... and so forth. If you feel the need to do a precise measurement by a tenth, then you can add the last digit to specify such need.

Click on "2DPatternWindow" then "Change the Scale of Development" then select "Specify Scale"

Measurements are from the highest to the lowest point and to the widest ends and depth, but you usually don't have to worry about depth. REMEMBER TO LOOK FOR THE ENDS. You can easily focus on the major pieces and overlook the edges that stick out and is factored in the 3/2D render. See the above video regarding scale for a good tutorial.

DSC00951.jpgDSC00953.jpg
    Example of height.. simply 32Cm or "320"

REMEMBER...
    If you do not have pepakura DESIGNER and you only have pepakura VIEWER you will not be able to save your changes, so cheat by writing down your measurements to use later!
    Last edited by Echo4Delta; 01-15-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: More detail.