Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ultracheap Soundboard

Default Ultracheap Soundboard

OK, let me first start off by saying the sound from this board is pretty lackluster. It makes a cheapie Hasbro soundboard look like a Crystal Focus, but in my mind sound is still better than no sound. I decided to take on this project purely for the fun of it as a way to experiment with adding sound to a saber while staying within a very tight budget. I also wanted to use up some spare components I had lying around (1.25" sink tube blade holder, 2.2 Ohm 5w resistor, Lux III Red, 4 AA Battery Holder) and make a saber out of those components that I'd mainly use for heavy dueling.

The setup documented here gives these sounds:
    1. Power-up
    2. Power-down
    3. Several clash sounds
    4. Idle hum (sort of)
    5. Swing (sort of)

Why sort of? Well, on this kind of budget you've got to be willing to make some sacrifices. There is no sensor on the board dedicated to making the swing sounds happen so they just kind of happen randomly intermixed with the idle hum. That's probably the most annoying thing about it. If you are holding it perfectly still then it'll still make random swing sounds at pretty regular intervals. This is less of a problem if you are dueling intensely and keep swing it around.

Another sacrifice is that the sound quality is probably about 8-bit and not very impressive, but good enough to get the point across. It is pretty loud, however.

Who would do this? Well, probably nobody except those who want to upgrade a stunt saber with sound for super cheap. Maybe you are adverse to putting a $100+ sound card in a saber you intend to smack the heck out of. Anyway, I spent the time to figure this out so I thought I'd give back to this community that has taught me so much by sharing what I learned.

I found a website where you can buy three of these things for about $25 shipped. That's $8.33 for you math wizards. I added about $3 of parts (5v regulator and a P-channel MOSFET) on top of that for a total of about $12. These might not be strictly necessary, but I didn't want to overpower this cheap board by putting a full 6 volts through it nor did I trust it to handle the 1.5A of current that the Lux III Red would run at. So, I regulated the voltage into the board and bypassed the high-amp draw LED with the MOSFET. See wiring diagrams later on in this post.

Here it is opened up. It's a clam-shell design that comes apart by backing out a few screws on the reverse side. I've taken a couple of these apart now and there always seems to be at least one screw that's an absolute bantha to get out. Luckily, these are made of very cheap flimsy plastic so I was able to pry it open anyway in both cases. It's still easier than cutting open the heavily glued Force Action toy lightsabers.

To keep a long story short, after some experimentation and probing with my multimeter I determined that this is how the board is laid out. I was able to remove all of the hardware wired to the board by simply (and carefully!) heating the existing solder on the board and pulling everything off. The only thing I left on the board was a small capacitor on the reverse side. The yellow "O"s are where the speaker is wired in.

These things come with a primitive swing sensor that is used to activate the clash sounds. What? OK, that's weird. I guess that's fine if you want to duel with the air, but I want to duel with other sabers. So, I wired in a clash sensor available right here at TCSS for a very reasonable 0.25 USD.

The switches were soldered right to the board (the blue things in the pic above). I guess I could have tried to heat the solder and remove those, but I opted instead to rock them back and forth until the pins broke off. That left the pins still securely soldered to the board and gave me an anchor point for my creative rewiring later. The switches control the light outputs and sound outputs independently. That's stupid; I wanted the light and sound to come on at the same time. So, I installed a jumper between the high-side of each switch so that I could trigger both at once with a single momentary switch.

Another thing to overcome was that the light activation switch wasn't simply on/off operation like the sound switch is. It cycled the LED from Red, Green, Blue, and Off states. So, I wired the Red and Blue to the gate on the MOSFET and left the Green floating. This worked as it turned 4 possible states into 2, which is what I wanted.

I wired in the rest of the components as pictured above.

I discovered that the speaker that comes with this unit is the perfect size to fit inside the gasket that comes with a 1.25? sink tube. I was able to use Super Glue to just stick the speaker inside of the gasket. The gasket in turn fits perfectly at the base of the sink tube.

I wrapped the entire assembly in electrical tape and stuffed it into a hilt. So far it's working fine. The only annoyance is that sometimes (very rarely) the sound and light still get out of sync if I don't push the activation switch hard enough; I'll get sound but no light or light and no sound. When that happens, I just hit the kill switch twice and it resets itself. After a little practice I'm sure I can overcome that.

I'll try to get a YouTube video up soon showing how it's working. The clash works perfectly and sounds pretty good too. Here is pic of it how it stands now. The hilt itself is still very raw; I need to add some overlays and grips and stuff. So far the entire project has been done just to prove it can be done and indeed it can.

Update 6/20/2014: Adding video.

Last edited by JakeSoft; 06-20-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Updating with video.

Congrats on making yourself a small sound card.

If you build a saber right, any card you put into it can take a good beating. I have dueled against Novastar (from Sabercombat.com fame), with one of my sabers (Apex - which does have a Crystal Focus in it, as do almost all of my sabers)), and it held up fine. It wasn't staged or choreographed combat, it was a straight up, full speed/contact duel.

You do realize that there are inexpensive ($65.00) sound cards such as the Nano Biscotti (sold here in the store) that are great for beginners, and can take a decent beating and produce good sound for the price.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 01-08-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Congrats on making yourself a small sound card.

If you build a saber right, any card you put into it can take a good beating. I have dueled against Novastar (from Sabercombat.com fame), with one of my sabers (Apex - which does have a Crystal Focus in it, as do almost all of my sabers)), and it held up fine. It wasn't staged or choreographed combat, it was a straight up, full speed/contact duel.

You do realize that there are inexpensive ($65.00) sound cards such as the Nano Biscotti (sold here in the store) that are great for beginners, and can take a decent beating and produce good sound for the price.
    Thanks!

I agree with you that battle damage to your sound board is pretty unlikely unless you took no time at all to secure it in your hilt when building the saber. In fact the sound board is pretty well protected even in this really cheap build. This just seemed like something a newer saber smith on a budget might worry about. I also agree that the NB sound board you mentioned is probably the best value out there right now in a full featured soundboard and totally worth the price. If your budget allows for it, I'd absolutely go with that over the solution I've presented here, no question. But, if you've only got $12, give this a whirl. (Lightsaber spinning pun! ... get it? Aw, forget it. )
    Last edited by JakeSoft; 01-09-2014 at 06:13 AM.

May I ask what's the website you got them from? I would like to test this out. I'm making a small saber for my son, he is 6 and this would be some thing nice and cheap in case he brakes it. I can then replace and build it again for him

NeoGojira,

I'd be happy to PM you that information if you'd be kind enough to enable private messages in your profile settings. As I understand it, posting links to other vendors is considered bad form on this forum and is frowned upon.

I will add however, that if you search Google shopping for "lightsaber with star wars sounds" and sort the results to show the lowest price first it'll be the first thing in the list or close to the first.
    Last edited by JakeSoft; 03-02-2014 at 08:53 PM.

I found a website where you can buy three of these things for about $25 shipped. That's $8.33 for you math wizards. I added about $3 of parts (5v regulator and a P-channel MOSFET) on top of that for a total of about $12. These might not be strictly necessary, but I didn't want to overpower this cheap board by putting a full 6 volts through it nor did I trust it to handle the 1.5A of current that the Lux III Red would run at. So, I regulated the voltage into the board and bypassed the high-amp draw LED with the MOSFET. See wiring diagrams later on
    That left the pins still securely soldered to the board and gave me an anchor point for my creative rewiring later. The switches control the light outputs and sound outputs independently. That's stupid; I wanted the light and sound to come on at the same time. So, I installed a jumper between the high-side of each switch so that I could trigger both at once with a single momentary switch.

Another thing to overcome was that the light activation switch wasn't simply on/off operation like the sound switch is. It cycled the LED from Red, Green, Blue, and Off states. So, I wired the Red and Blue to the gate on the MOSFET and left the Green floating. This worked as it turned 4 possible states into 2, which is what I wanted

I'll get sound but no light or light and no sound. When that happens, I just hit the kill switch twice and it resets itself. After a little practice I'm sure I can overcome that.
    ok, so I purchased the same soundboard and have no idea whatsoever how to hook it up in my lightsaber. I have already removed the two switches leaving the pins in like you said, but I have no idea what to do from there. Also is there a way to hook up the LED without the MOSFET? if so, how would this be done? I am also concerned about the issue you were having with the light and sound being out of sync. do i need a kill switch? if possible could you post a close up photo of your electronic setup? thanks in advance and sorry i'm such a noob :P

I definitely like your idea of building your own sound board!!! Congrats, you made it work and that's all what counts. I also look out for ways to
    a.) improve existing stuff
    b.) do it cheaper
    simply because I feel the need to add something unique to my builds. Looking at the diagrams you drew up and implemented, you are definitely not a beginner in electronics and I like similar minded fellows doing things their own way!

Quote Originally Posted by mayduheeeeh View Post
    ok, so I purchased the same soundboard and have no idea whatsoever how to hook it up in my lightsaber. I have already removed the two switches leaving the pins in like you said, but I have no idea what to do from there. Also is there a way to hook up the LED without the MOSFET? if so, how would this be done? I am also concerned about the issue you were having with the light and sound being out of sync. do i need a kill switch? if possible could you post a close up photo of your electronic setup? thanks in advance and sorry i'm such a noob :P
    You don't technically need the kill switch, but I recommend it. Otherwise if you get the out-of-sync issue, you'll have to pull out your batteries to reset it.

You might be able to get away with not using the MOSFET. To do it, just wire the red and blue LED negative contact points (marked with red and blue # in the board layout diagram in my OP) to the LED negative of your Luxeon or whatever you are using for a main LED. Then wire the positive pad on your LED to your battery positive. Be sure to include the right resistor somewhere in your LED circuit, of coarse. When the board activates, it will control the negative side of your LED by allowing or disallowing current to flow through the LED to ground when you push the button. I have never tried it this way, but it should work in theory. If you are pushing a lot of current to your LED, you might fry the board though, so be on the lookout for magic blue smoke!
    Last edited by JakeSoft; 06-06-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
    I definitely like your idea of building your own sound board!!! Congrats, you made it work and that's all what counts. I also look out for ways to
    a.) improve existing stuff
    b.) do it cheaper
    simply because I feel the need to add something unique to my builds. Looking at the diagrams you drew up and implemented, you are definitely not a beginner in electronics and I like similar minded fellows doing things their own way!
    Hey, thanks for the support! Cheers.

That same saber you are showing I have seen on ebay for like $3 or something. Awesome that you did it! Super affordable! I almost did the same thing myself but ended up getting a Hasbro for $10 (they're $20... but I had a coupon!)

Have you measured the output of your LED? Are you getting full current? The reason I ask is because I am using a similar setup, and the way it is wired in your diagram doesn't look like it will fully saturate (or desaturate) the gate. That might not be an issue for you if you don't want the full battery voltage...
    Last edited by Dethlore; 06-09-2014 at 11:03 AM.