Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Saber Build Problems

Learning this lesson the hard way, but I'm sure it will all be worth it at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    No one ever said this would be a cheap hobby. Good tools are essential to be a successful saber builder.

I will check out the weller wess1 hopefully it won't break the bank. Thanks for your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    When I first got stated, I used a cheap soldering iron. It was a pos, but I built quite a few sabers with it and learned a lot with it. Then I tossed it in favor of a soldering station when I started working with quality soundboards like the PC. Personally, I've got a Weller WES51 and a couple extra tips - a fine point for making the connections to the small pads on the board, and a fat tip for general use - but there are a plethora of choices. If you plan on building more than 1 saber, I'd recommend making the investment in a good piece of equipment. Just my two cents.

Well I guess it's safe to say I ruind yet another tip unless I can still tin the tip?
    You should be able to clean the tip. Try a little vinegar and salt, then wash it off real good. Or try sand paper. If you have big globs of solder stuck to it you can try whittleing it off with a knife - solder and tin are reall soft metals

Quote Originally Posted by Sevinzol View Post
    You should be able to clean the tip. Try a little vinegar and salt, then wash it off real good. Or try sand paper. If you have big globs of solder stuck to it you can try whittleing it off with a knife - solder and tin are reall soft metals
    Thanks Sevinzol I will give that a try
    K

Quote Originally Posted by Keivan View Post
    Hi Guys I build a saber first time and I got some issues when I try to turn on the saber. it used to work before but for some reason now it doesnt turn on and the circuit board tent to get real hot
    my solution is to un-solder everything and start from scratch but before I do that I wanted to see if any one have an idea or a better and less painful solution for my problem, to be specific when I connect the battery I hear a turn on sound but after that the switch dosnt light up nor turn on the saber and when I touch the circuit the area where the power wires are seem to get hot. which I think that is NOT good.
    any help is appreciated
    best
    K
    here is the diagram I used to wired everythingAttachment 9406
    Ok so I finally did start from scratch, I undid everything from the circuit and got fresh wires and re soldered everything, also I bought a new battery same thing but a new one just to make sure its not the battery.and for some reason my saber still dose not turn on. I followed every ones advice and I'm still in square one, can anyone help me as to why my saber doesn't want to turn on?

any help is greatly appreciated
    best
    Keivan

Did you make sure you have the switch parameter set for the proper switch that you have?
    Did you make sure the battery pack is fully charged first?
    Also, let's see the new pics of your wiring job. You know the drill by now.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Did you make sure you have the switch parameter set for the proper switch that you have?
    Did you make sure the battery pack is fully charged first?
    Also, let's see the new pics of your wiring job. You know the drill by now.
    for the switch I followed the diagram. is there anything else I can do to trouble shoot the switches?
    the battery I made sure its charged before I connected so I know the battery for sure is fresh and fully charged
    and here are the picsphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

lastphoto.jpg
    will attach video shortly

here is the video