Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: D's Color Shifter with NB and Crystal Chamber

I put the drive adjust back up to full (1023) and it didn't change the brightness of the red die. In fact, at full power I can't run the cyan combo. It trips the NB and shuts it down.

The red die has too much resistance. I calculated it at 3.7 volts instead of 3.45 V which it's getting. Its got 2 ohm 2 watt resistance right now and only needs 1.2 ohms 1 watt. Hopefully swapping out those resistors will fix the orange and purple colors.
    D

I really like your design! The exposed elements add a lot, and it's great to have the ability to change color with the NB. One thing to consider, if you weren't already planning to, is to take a polishing wheel to the aluminum to both polish the unetched areas as well as the etched areas. I've found that it adds a nice depth to the etch and, I'm not sure how to describe it, seems to clean it up imo. I've had etches come out that were far below my expectations initially, but that changed after polishing. Below is a comparison of emitters I did with unpolished on left and polished on right. I can go into more detail if you'd like...

Also, feel free to disregard if it's not in line with your vision.

Thanks! I'll definitely do that. I'm certainly not done with the exterior, just wanted to get the wiring done.
    D

Default Perforated tube?

I like it. Cool work.
    Can I ask where you found or bought the perforated metal? Is it a tube or a curved plate? I've been scouring the internet for some to use as an 18650 battery shroud. Ideally it would be a tube just a tad larger in diameter than an 18650. Or a sheet I can role into that shape. I'll settle for it being the diameter to fit the ID if my Graflex to hide the battery and NB board. It's been hard to find anywhere I could order in less than a 1 ton order.
    Thanks
    Al

It was a fan grill from an old Dell Inspiron laptop. It had a 3x3-inch section of grill inside the housing. It's in the upper left in this photo.

I just cut it out so it was about 1 mm larger than the hole in the shroud. Then I milled out a little groove around the inside of the hole with a dremel. I bent the grill around the shroud to get the curvature right, then slid it into the groove on the inside of the shroud. It took a little trimming to get a snug fit. Once it was in there, it sat flush with the inside of the shroud and is pretty secure.

D

Nice idea.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I also used a little piece of that fan grill on my Luke ANH Graflex. I put it under the glass eye for display. The glass eye magnified it. Turned out pretty neat.

Last edited by dgregory; 02-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    D

One more small update. I put the NB drive adj back to 3.7 V and put resistors on the green and royal blue die.

Got the purple looking great!

Not so sure about the yellow. The RGB in the crystal chamber is orange, the blade is greenish yellow.

I also made a blade plug with an old arrow tip, part of a CD player, a drain cover, and some wire I had lying around.

D

wow the blade plug is awesome, great idea