Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on switch placement (2 momentary switches) on this saber design

Default Need advice on switch placement (2 momentary switches) on this saber design

Hi there -

I'm new to the forum and this would be my first custom build. I really like the idea of using the long choke on a 12 inch saber (see the attached jpg). Given the general lack of real estate for switches, I'd really like some advice on where to put the primary and secondary momentary switches on this design.
    Custom Saber Pic (long choke).jpg
    My first idea was whether TCSS could machine the primary switch hole in the base of the choke -right above the threads near the middle of the saber. I'd prefer a full sized secondary switch, but I may need to settle for something smaller mounted in the mara jade extension. That is unless I can put another switch hole in the 3/4" inch extension, but that would involve drilling through the threads between adjacent sections.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Shady Canuck

First off, Welcome to the forums!

Before I get into answering your question... what did you plan on putting into the saber?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yeah that's a tough design, for a couple of reasons. One, no good place for switches.. two, there's not a lot of space for internals. As a beginner (I am one myself) I think it's good to keep function in mind, somewhat over form.

If you put an extension, say three inches between the MJ peice and the choke, that should free up a lot of options.

Drilling into the base of the choke might be possible. The small tactile swithes might fit, and you could put them 90 or 180 degrees from each other.... maybe. If you want to go that route, you'd have to email Tim and see what he thinks is possible
    Last edited by Flyby Knight; 12-28-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    "It makes it so much more interesting when the odd are stacked against you, don't you think?" -- Han Solo (from Force Heretic III: Reunion)

My first Saber in progress!

One thing you might consider is replacing the .75 inch with the 1.5 inch. That will give you more space in the extender to work with. The 1.5 inch is bigger so look at in the the builder before you go that route (though Tim may be able to mill it down to the standard diameter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    First off, Welcome to the forums!

Before I get into answering your question... what did you plan on putting into the saber?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm leaning towards putting an Ignitor Mini soundcard into it - hence the need for two switches. And I'd like to use two illuminated A/V switches, but I may have to settle for a smaller secondary momentary switch due to space issues. Part of me thinks I should set it up as a stunt saber first to see if I even like how it handles, but I can see multiple different grips for this design (both single and two handed).

SC

It does seem tight, but no more than some other designs I've seen. I considered a longer 3" extension, but it would throw off the symmetry with the front of the choke and make the saber somewhat cumbersome for one handed use. And the 1.5" extension is a wider diameter - which I didn't like. I think you are right: I need to ask Tim what he can do with machining the choke and 0.75" extension together. It occurred to me that I may also be able to put the second switch someplace else on the saber - perhaps in one of the screw holes in the MJ extension. But then I'm hording in on the space for soundcard, battery and speaker.

SC

Well, "tightness and complexity" of a design generally goes along with the skill of the builder.

With that design YOU ARE NOT going to get 2 A/V switches in, especially if you plan on doing sound. You *might* be able to do 2 small momentary switches with your current design, but there will be risks involved.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

You could go with a smaller choke and add an extension and drill holes in the extension. You could also try drilling holes in the MJ extension like in the middle or something unless you are going to put grips on there then it might not fit.
    Last edited by Darth Kenobi; 12-31-2013 at 12:34 PM.

It's the larger choke that I'd really like to try in a saber build. The smaller choke would end up looking alot like the US Catalyst (which is made using TCSS parts). But thanks for the suggestion.

Once you screw the .75 extension to the choke you should be able to drill and tap it for an AV switch. Just don't plan on taking it apart again afterwards because it probably won't line up right again. Put your second AV switch in the hilt using insert part 10 http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MP...e-10-P526.aspx
    Or 11 http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MP...e-11-P527.aspx
    Sith Happens