Thread: Would you use a pop riveter?

Force Aware

Default Would you use a pop riveter?

A great DIY site by the name of Instructables has a few saber enthusiasts, and one member has managed to make himself a belt hanger saber prop. What I found most interesting, was that he did so through the use of a pop-riveter and a hacksaw! http://www.instructables.com/id/Quic...er-Prop/#step1

I personally think riveting would be a very stylish way of securing shrouds and grip. What concerns me is the fact that you would most likely need some significantly smaller rivets than normal so as to not interfere with your saber guts.

My suggestion would be to simply buy smaller rivets, build the chassis and attach what you will, then grind the excess rivet on the inside of the hilt to make room for your internals

Now, my question to you all is, do you think using a pop riveter could be beneficial in the making of an LED saber? Why or why not?

My answer is no. I've "managed" to make many sabers, and I've never needed a pop riveter to do it. If you wanted to connect a shroud, you can simply use small screws and incorporate them into your design. If you're good, there are ways to attach them without it showing (hidden set screws, etc.)
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

You can certainly use rivets to hold parts together. The biggest issue is not the size of the rivets (since they come in a wide range of sizes) but rather that rivets are permanent. If you ever needed to dismantle your saber to repair your internal electronics, the rivets will be a major hindrance.

Rivets are fine for an empty belt-hanger. Not so ideal for a saber with electronics. Sooner or later, you'll need/want to dismantle your saber for some reason.

My first saber (see my sig pic) is held together with rivets. I'll give you one guess why I've never gone back and added electronics to it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    You can certainly use rivets to hold parts together. The biggest issue is not the size of the rivets (since they come in a wide range of sizes) but rather that rivets are permanent. If you ever needed to dismantle your saber to repair your internal electronics, the rivets will be a major hindrance.

Rivets are fine for an empty belt-hanger. Not so ideal for a saber with electronics. Sooner or later, you'll need/want to dismantle your saber for some reason.

My first saber (see my sig pic) is held together with rivets. I'll give you one guess why I've never gone back and added electronics to it.
    Seconding this ^.

No matter how well made a saber is - even by the best pro sabersmiths - repairs WILL be necessary sooner or later, probably sooner for duelling sabers which take repeated impacts but even for costume or display sabers that don't take shocks you will likely want to make UPGRADES eventually. This hobby is evolving very fast; since I got into it ~8 years ago just the 'standard' for LEDs we use has evolved from LuxIII to LuxV to P4 to LedEngin to tri-rebels and quads and who knows what super-LED may arrive next year eh?

Your saber hilt will likely last decades and you may want or need to access to fix or change out the innards a dozen times so don't make it harder on yourself with permanent fasteners like rivets.

Force Aware

I appreciate all of the input, guys! Personally, I don't see myself using a pop riveter anytime soon unless it's for an empty stunt/belt hanger.

Also, I don't know if it has happened to anyone else's but the pop rivets in my prop saber I built years ago have become kind of dull and they aren't as shiny anymore. Could have to deal with the type of rivet and possibly could be brought back to a shiny luster again but it's just a sink tube.

Try Mother's Magnesium and Aluminum polish on the rivets. It works wonders on a number of different metals.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I used a pop riveter for this saber. It worked out really well, doesnt take up much room inside and I think they look better than screws in some cases. I am still able to do repairs and mods but it only takes a drill, a drill bit smaller than the rivet and a few seconds of drilling per rivet to remove them. I've done it many times.photo.jpgphoto-1.jpgphoto.jpg