Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crossover Saber Concept: Portal

Loving this design! I could see this with a four die LED, 2 amber and 2 blue, switchable with FoC. All it needs are the "claw" parts from the original gun.

Great work on the render!

I hear ya. I like the first one better too, i'm still toying with the proportions but I think a final product would look closer to this last drawing than the first. The hilt above is MHS scale so I think the covers would be too large to wield comfortably. Back to my earlier comment, it may be destined for show , not real battling. I think I am going to look into that kydex stuff FlyBy mentioned, looks like cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    I don't know, I kind of like the longer version of the overlays in the first rendering. The stretched parts seem sleeker, less chunky, and they seem to sit off the main body a bit more. You could do some 3d printing in plastic to get the feel right. It'd be the modeling that'd be the biggest PIA, but you're way ahead of my skills already. Maybe carve the parts out of foam like I used to watch the industrial design students do, then find someone who can magics them into the computer? I'll just sit back and be darned impressed. Maybe drool a little. Cool concept.

GMTA Tryp... i'm going to borrow the claws from my portal gun render. Those "claws" were the easiest and hardest part of this render... the little spring actuator thingies were hard to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by TrypWyr View Post
    Loving this design! I could see this with a four die LED, 2 amber and 2 blue, switchable with FoC. All it needs are the "claw" parts from the original gun.

Great work on the render!

Awesome concept. Though I think Sintra and Worbla would be easier to work with over Kydex. Also don't forget about good old fashioned pvc pipe
    -Sidd-

Hey that worbla stuff is pretty cool, how rigid is it? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
    Awesome concept. Though I think Sintra and Worbla would be easier to work with over Kydex. Also don't forget about good old fashioned pvc pipe

Quote Originally Posted by South-Paw Jinn View Post
    Hey that worbla stuff is pretty cool, how rigid is it? Anyone know?
    its kinda of on the thin side but from what i have heard you can make some pretty well made builds with it
    -Sidd-

Cool design!! Like portal very much, so it will be fun to see this come to life
    (have you thought about 3D printing?).
    Clicky Sig =>

Board Lurker TheRealRocketBurns's Avatar

I have a 3D printer, I will have to try this out. Ill see how it goes! Would love this saber, being a huge Portal fan. A Half Life saber would be cool as well, maybe based on gravity gun. It would have a nice grungy look.
    Check out my website: www.rocketburns.com