Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Phoenix" A Carbon Fiber bladed dueling saber by LDM and Strydur

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Arrow "Phoenix" A Carbon Fiber bladed dueling saber by LDM and Strydur

Phoenix

This is a commission from my website. The mission was simple...produce a saber capable of holding a carbon fiber dueling blade for use in a fan film and make it look just like this render:

So, where to begin? I did not want to cut the steep angle on the shroud, because I felt as though although I could do it, it may take a few tries which meant a few wasted pieces of material and increased costs. I was discussing the project with Strydur of TCSS and troubleshooting how best to achieve the phoenix design (which came to be known between us as the "Crazy Chicken") and we decided that instead of going with laser etching as I have done in the past, that he would try his new CNC milling program to see what we could produce. He used a nice piece of MHS shroud material, milled the chicken and cut the steeply raked angle of the shroud. The hole for securing the shroud was also done by him and was part of the production process (used to secure the raw material during machining). The nest issue was how to color the chicken engraving itself...and that shall remain a mystery, but suffice to say that it is not going to rub off

The remainder of the hilt was machined by me from 6061 aluminum stock. A 1' piece of 1.5" OD x 1.0" ID and a piece of 1.0" OD x 3/4" ID for a 5" long BH. The floating piece of the shroud was also machined by me from MHS shroud. To create all of the angles on this hilt, I needed to make it in two pieces rather than one, so it has a pommel and body with the BH inside. I did bore the BH a scoche to readily accept the 3/4" blade which rests against a blade stop and his held in place by a set screw that goes through the blade itself. All of the screws on the hilt and through the shrouds are countersunk and perfectly aligned (calibrated the big boy mill prior to cutting). I finished things off with a primer layer of matte powder coat and two layers of textured enamel. That sucka is gonna be black forevermore. So, you ask, how close did you get to the render? Judge for yourself:

The BMT:

The Glams:

360 Degree view:

All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

LDM and Strydur
    Signs you know that a saber is good #38...

Good lord this saber is awesome. I love how it's very simplistic at its core, yet it has the phoenix which I'm sure took waaaay more time and effort than would ever be put into a saber. Very awesome job, to both of you. Your work usually impresses me, but never this much.

Also, yes. In regard to the render... yeah. Nailed it.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Thank you
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams

Wow, it's just exactly as the design. Very good job.

*Darth Vader Voice* Impressive.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

Very well done. It looks like you reached into the computer screen, grabbed the render, and pulled it out.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Awesome. I'm loving the simplified but unique design and the entire silver-black color scheme. And the "Crazy Chicken" design came out great!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Wow. Just. Wow.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Wow, some very kind words. I am more than humbled by them. Thank you all very much.

To be honest, seeing the original artwork, I was a bit skeptical about how it would turn out. As I continues scrolling and saw the finished project, I was quite surprised. This saber looks amazing, and the craftsmanship is spectacular. You guys did a great job on this. Inspiring to say the least.