Thread: First Saber and a few Qs

Default First Saber and a few Qs

I was planning on keeping this idea till after finals were over, but patience has never been my strong point
    One thing to note that might seem like sacrilege, but for starters I don't plan on putting a blade or electronics into the hilt. Mainly my interest is in rotoscoped sabers and display pieces. I may put electronics in later blades, but this one will just be the hilt.

Now that we've got that out of the way, here's the part list:
    2x MHS ribbed extension + pc Wet Black RIB3
    1x 2" double female + media blasting*
    1x pommel "system" (pommel style 1, MPS insert, MPS clip)
    1x Bladeholder style 3 + pc Wet Black BH32
    1x Covertec "system" (covertec knob, 8-32 screw, drill and tap service, covertec clip)
    1x button "system" (16mm anti vandal short, machine recessed av)
    3x Trim Ring 1 + pc copper trans**

SaberBuilder_render3.jpg

*Now you might notice the 2" double female is colored green in the rendering. That is because I plan to paint it and bake it with this:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G3FWZ8/...d=IX85PLLZO301
    My question is this: Is media blasting worth it? It seems to me the paint would stick better to a media blasted piece, but I don't know that for sure. Anybody have a thought on that?
    ** in the MHS builder, there are no trim rings available! So I used double-male adapters of the correct color to be place holders

A final note, you may notice I'm ordering a lot of services to be done for me. The reason for this is I quite simply have none of the tools required for most of those services...Yet...

Can't wait to hear what you guys think!
    While the Jedi and the Sith both USE the force, we serve the force. We are in tune with both it's dark and light; we walk between the shadow and the flame.

First off, Welcome to the Forums.

I'm going to reserve comment on your painting over media blasting might turn out, because I've never done it, I usually just have things powder coated or anodized. I do know that people have painted just the bare hilt and haven't had many issues. I'm sure that the topic and results have been covered somewhere here on the forums, just take your time and look around and you will find what you seek.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks for the welcome!

I have been reading up on self-painting, but media blasting is almost never mentioned. It seems just running some 180 grit sandpaper over it will do the trick.
    While the Jedi and the Sith both USE the force, we serve the force. We are in tune with both it's dark and light; we walk between the shadow and the flame.