Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Color shifting with the Nano and tri rebel rgb

Small update. I got this saber wired up. I set the NB drive down to 3.45V and only put a resistor on the red die. The red wasn't bright enough so I put the drive back up to 3.7 volts. When I lit the blue and green together for cyan, it came on for a second and then shut down. I don't know if the pcb on the battery tripped, or the NB. I inserted the kill key and removed it again, and everything was fine. Both the blue and green die were drawing 1 mA each. The accent led in the crystal chamber was drawing an additional 40 mA. I wouldn't think that would be enough to trip the pcb on he 18650. I guess it was the NB? It doesn't seem to be damaged. Everything works fine as long as I don't light the blue and green together at full power. They work fine together with the drive adjustment lower than 3.7 V.
    D

How do you have the blue and green wired together?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Sorry, in parallel. It's royal blue and green. Here's the wiring diagram.

D

Never mind. I misread your post. Carry on.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 02-19-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

There are none, only on the red. I set it up that way because I was planning to leave the drive adjustment at 3.45 V. Now I want it at 3.7 V because the red isn't bright enough. I'm going to put a small resistor on the blue and green now. It's easier than reducing the resistance to the red since those resistors are buried in the control board.

I was just curious why it popped, whether it was the NB or the battery pcb. Even at 3.7 V it should have been close enough to the voltage of the blue and green to be fine. I'm wondering if it was having 2040 mA on the NB, which I think has a 2 A limit.
    D

You are likely not going to be able to change colors "on the fly". The NB was NEVER designed for stuff like that. You will probably have to set a color, then turn the NB on and you'll be OK.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Oh I haven't tried shifting colors on the fly. I don't plan to. I turn it off before changing colors. I'm not sure what would happen if I hot swapped the colors. I don't really wanna find out.

I turned it off, set it to cyan at full power, and pop. I'll resistor the blue and green and it should be fine. I was just wondering if anyone knew what actually popped, the NB or the battery.
    D

I would guess your battery.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines