Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1st Build - Help and Suggestions Wanted

Default 1st Build - Help and Suggestions Wanted

My 1st EVER build for Halloween 2014

SaberBuilder_render.jpg

Pommel style 3 v2 (not shown is the d-ring and internal clip)
    4" Fluted double female threaded connector
    Ribbed extension v-grooved (Where I will have the "Services" do the AV hole)
    Screw on LED blade holder style 16 (Will have "Services" place the blade screw hole)
    8/32 Thumb Screw (Not Shown for Blade Holder)

The Guts:

Keep in mind I plan on using rechargeable Energizer AA batteries.

Rebel Star (Pre-Wired)
    Nano Biscotte (Pre-Wired)
    Short AV Momentary (Pre-Wired)
    2Bass Speaker with V3 Speaker Mount
    4xAA Battery Holder

1.) What kind of resistor will I need for a 4x AA battery supply?
    2.) What will I have to do to install said resistor splice the wire coming from the LED?
    3.) I assume the wiring diagram that comes with the Nano Card is all I need to connect everything?

Am I missing anything

You say rechargeable AA batteries, do you mean NiMH or the rechargeable alkalines? The total voltage of your battery pack must be between 3.4v and 5.5v or you'll risk damaging the Nano Biscotte board.

1. Once you know the voltage of your battery pack, you can plug in that value and the values of your LEDs into an online resistor calculator (see my signature for one) and get an appropriate resistor. You will need one for the main LED, as well as for the AV switch (if you have an illuminated switch).

2. Correct. You will cut either the red wire on your Rebel LED module OR the black wire, and then wire in the resistor there. It doesn't matter which wire you cut, but you only need to cut one.

3. Pretty much. If you run into issues, feel free to ask.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    You say rechargeable AA batteries, do you mean NiMH or the rechargeable alkalines? The total voltage of your battery pack must be between 3.4v and 5.5v or you'll risk damaging the Nano Biscotte board.

1. Once you know the voltage of your battery pack, you can plug in that value and the values of your LEDs into an online resistor calculator (see my signature for one) and get an appropriate resistor. You will need one for the main LED, as well as for the AV switch (if you have an illuminated switch).

2. Correct. You will cut either the red wire on your Rebel LED module OR the black wire, and then wire in the resistor there. It doesn't matter which wire you cut, but you only need to cut one.

3. Pretty much. If you run into issues, feel free to ask.
    Awesome. Can I do the alkaline batteries (since I already have some around the house) or should I get NiMH?

I wouldn't use either for the Nano, personally. Nimh don't have a lot of life in them, and Alkalines are even worse. You would need extra wiring and resistors to get the NB to perform optimally with those batteries (alkalines and nimh both put out more volts than li-ion, which isn't great for the board. You really would be nickeling and diming yourself in the end. I would just go with a single Li-Ion sold here. You will be much happier with the perfomance and runtimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    I wouldn't use either for the Nano, personally. Nimh don't have a lot of life in them, and Alkalines are even worse. You would need extra wiring and resistors to get the NB to perform optimally with those batteries (alkalines and nimh both put out more volts than li-ion, which isn't great for the board. You really would be nickeling and diming yourself in the end. I would just go with a single Li-Ion sold here. You will be much happier with the perfomance and runtimes.
    I'm totally agree. I had mine with 3xAAA setup at first and in less than a week I switched to 1x18650 due powering issues.

4 NiMH will power the board, but they're not ideal. 4 alkalines will give out 6v, and likely damage your board. 3 alkalines and a dummy cell would work.

A single li-ion will do the job perfectly, since that is what the NB was designed for.

In terms of runtime, Ty_Bomber and Arsies are correct. You'll get a lot more sabering from a single li-ion than you will from alkalines or NiMH.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

How about:

Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery Module with JST connector

And I am assuming the connector that comes with is ideal for the pre-wired board.

Unfortunately all the Li 3.7 are out of stock. (Sad Face)
    Last edited by Echo4Delta; 11-22-2013 at 08:01 AM.

That is a good choice, and the JST connector will work with the pre-wired board.

Give it a couple weeks. Tim restocks all his items, eventually. In demand ones like the batteries will be back soon.

Ok, Updated parts list:

Powertrain:

Nano Board (Pre-Wired)
    NWS Short Momentary 16mm AV Switch (Pre-Wired)
    Rebel Star LED kit (Royal Blue) (Pre-Wired)
    MHS Speaker Mount V3
    2W Bass Speaker
    Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7 3400mAh

Body:

LED "TCSS style" 32" blade
    Blade Emmitter (New Style) 16 w/ Services providing the Drill and Tap for the blade screw
    MHS Ribbed Extension V-Groved w/ Services providing the machine Standard style switch hole
    4" fluted Dbl Female Connector
    MPS Pmmel Stlye 11 and Clip
    MPS insert Style 12 (D-Dring for belt clip)

I'm having all the body parts media blasted by services so i can paint it later....

1) Is the body big enough for everthing?
    2) I know I'm missing the resistor that goes between the board/LED. But I am too dense to figure out the calculator. Help?
    3) Am I missing anything?