Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flyby's Padawan Saber

Well. Got my wiring finished and... nada. My switch lights up, and I get a weird sort of clicking sound from the speaker, but nothing else, I've read what others have said, about how when this happens you feel like you're gonna be sick. It's true.

I tried re-formatting the sd.. didn't change anything.

Gonna go back through all the wiring, maybe I did something obvious wrong and can fix it. I'm really afraid that my NB took a static shock or something though.

We'll see.
    Last edited by Flyby Knight; 12-14-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    "It makes it so much more interesting when the odd are stacked against you, don't you think?" -- Han Solo (from Force Heretic III: Reunion)

My first Saber in progress!

Try it first without your recharge port. Often times, that's where mistakes happen. If it works just fine with the charge port taken out of the equation, that'll isolate the problem.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

If you showed us pictures of your wiring, we might be able to help you out. I'm curious of what's going on myself.

It's pretty hard to get a pic that would be worth anything, the wires are pretty short. I was trying to keep them as tidy as possible. Sadly, that means that troubleshooting is pretty difficult. Today I learned... lol. I'm going to pull it apart and see if wiring without the recharge will make it go, that seemed like an worthwile test. Tomorrow afternoonish.

On the bright side, I got my blade plug in the mail. That makes me happy.

Photo-0072.jpg
    Last edited by Flyby Knight; 12-15-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    "It makes it so much more interesting when the odd are stacked against you, don't you think?" -- Han Solo (from Force Heretic III: Reunion)

Tidy is good. As I'm sure you've discovered, checking the wiring before putting it all in the hilt is a good idea. I do a small checklist before I finish my saber:

1 - Does everything work properly outside the board?
    2 - Does everything work with the pommel and emitter off?
    3 - Does everything with with the pommel on and extensions, choke, and emitter off?
    4 - Does everything work with the pommel, extensions, and choke on and emitter off?
    4 - Does everything work with the whole saber put together?

That way if something goes wrong, I know when and probably how. That's the best advice I can give (and I get the feeling that is gonna be my catchphrase).
    Also, the blade plug is nice. Is that a razor plug?
    Last edited by Yoshi-Taka; 12-16-2013 at 12:23 AM.

I'll hopefully have time to go through it all this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll have some answers soon, if not a functioning saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-Taka View Post
    Also, the blade plug is nice. Is that a razor plug?
    Yes

OK, well, I pulled it apart. I was somewhat relieved when I saw that the negative wire coming from the switch had apparently pulled loose; I thought maybe that was the cause of all my troubles. I set about cleaning up the terminal and wired the whole thing over again, outside the saber and without the recharge port. Unfortunately nothing improved. I plugged in the battery and I heard the same odd, rapid clicking sound, I then tried the switch and the main LED lit for a brief instant, I heard what might have been the powerup sound but at very low volume, and then nothing. Further punching of the button does nothing. Unplugging the battery allows you to repeat the experience, but it gets old. The royal blue Rebel is pretty though.

Unless you guys have any other ideas, I will proceed on the assumption that my NB is borked. I'll have to wait until after Christmas to try and get a replacement.

I'm not gonna let this get me down, BTW. I'm committed to finishing this project; moreover, to doing a good job on it. Merely a setback

Is the NB itself wired correctly? Have you tried a different MicroSD card on this board? Are any of the pads on your NB bridged? Is the recharge port wired correctly?

That's about all I can suggest without being able to see your board or setup.

Perhaps I'm giving up on this board too quickly. It's hard for me to show you guys pics, my camera phone really, really sucks (my phone flips open, if that tells you anything). However, my Dad has some experience with soldering, maybe he'll have an idea fo what's wrong. It's a good enough excuse to go see my Dad anyway.

Win-win, I suppose.

Another question which I forgot to ask: is the battery fully charged? I mean, forgetful jedi knight has suggested that to me several times and it's solved a lot of my problems.