Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flyby's Padawan Saber

Default Flyby's Padawan Saber

I got all the machined aluminum parts in yesterday, and I'm amazed. I had seen plenty of videos and so forth but holding YOUR saber in your hand is a different story altogether. Everything fits perfect and is beautiful.

I went with a fairly simple design, but I think I managed to get some nice touches in there. I'm really digging the trim rings and graflex-replica knob.
    P4140071.jpg

More parts are on their way. I'm getting a pommel disk with the D-ring attached. As for electronics, I'm going with a royal blue Rebel and a Nano Biscotti.

Feeling happy and excited
    "It makes it so much more interesting when the odd are stacked against you, don't you think?" -- Han Solo (from Force Heretic III: Reunion)

My first Saber in progress!

I like the design. The trim rings give it a classic "sword hilt" design. I'm sure it will grow on me, but the big thumb screw looks really clunky. But I can let it go because of my extreme bias toward the box you chose. Also, your choice is blade and board.

Nice, simple design. Haven't used the trim rings yet, but definitely gives a nice look. Can't wait to see it all finished!

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-Taka View Post
    I like the design. The trim rings give it a classic "sword hilt" design. I'm sure it will grow on me, but the big thumb screw looks really clunky. But I can let it go because of my extreme bias toward the box you chose. Also, your choice is blade and board.
    Thanks The idea was to give it a slight hint of the original Graflex saber, without making a copy. Others have done that, far better than I could. So the angled emitter, knob, and black PC'd flutes.. It's my saber, not Luke's or Anakin's; it just has a similar "feel". That's what I was going for, anyway.
    Last edited by Flyby Knight; 11-13-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: words
    "It makes it so much more interesting when the odd are stacked against you, don't you think?" -- Han Solo (from Force Heretic III: Reunion)

Everything I need to complete this saber should be here by Wednesday. I'm excited I'll be posting pics of the internal chassis and of course, of the completed work.
    Last edited by Flyby Knight; 12-08-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Knight View Post
    Thanks The idea was to give it a slight hint of the original Graflex saber, without making a copy. Others have done that, far better than I could. So the angled emitter, knob, and black PC'd flutes.. It's my saber, not Luke's or Anakin's; it just has a similar "feel". That's what I was going for, anyway.
    Those are the best sabers.

Got my Nano Biscotti, chassis parts and Corbin battle blade today. That should be pretty much everything.

Chassis test fit:P5100072.jpg

plenty of room for the chassis inside the 4" grip section. I just need to figure out how I want to anchor it into the forward section.

So while puttering around with wires and such, I got to thinking... always a dangerous idea.

See the markings, the little boxes (I think they're cutouts) and the teeny pinstripes, on these graflex clamps?
    clamps.jpg

I wonder if I could reproduce that... maybe etched, or engraved.

Possible? Certainly. Easy? Well, that depends on your methods and personal skillset.

If you're going to try, start on scrap pieces rather than the expensive ones.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Possible? Certainly. Easy? Well, that depends on your methods and personal skillset.

If you're going to try, start on scrap pieces rather than the expensive ones.
    Sound advice. It seems to me that engraving would be the way to do it, but I tried it once and holding anything like a straight line is pretty hard. Not sure if this will happen, but I can finish the saber while I'm thinking it over.