Thread: "Twilight Sparkle" by Yoshi-Taka

Default "Twilight Sparkle" by Yoshi-Taka

Oh god it's another Bronysaber! Yeah, it's been a little while, hasn't it? Well, this one was worth waiting for. I consider this one my magnum opus. My latest MHS-based saber designed, and named, after one of my favourite characters from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Twilight Sparkle. I think this one was named and designed perfectly on accident. I didn't expect to have a saber built 100% to spec for my own preferences. Twilight is a character known for extensively studying and researching just about everything before doing it. As it turns out, I did more work reading and researching than I did building the saber! Why? Because this is my first saber using the Petit Crouton!

Twi was originally going to have FoC and a Tri-Rebel RRW but I decided to step back and keep it simpler. I want to use the PC a few more times before I get more adventurous. Still, this project went very smoothly. Normally something screws up during the building process.. part of the success was having a pointed-tipped soldering iron. Total life saver!
    I continually changed my opinion on what I wanted to do with the LED and if I wanted/could finish it by Halloween. The hilt parts, I could. A red lightsaber, I couldn't. I had to borrow a led from a different saber for Halloween but it was still really cool to have. I also have a blade plug now and it's just fantastic...

Anyway, no more babbling (I did that enough in the video.. which took several takes because I don't script my videos). Let's get to the specs! Many many thanks to Ty_bomber for all of his help, and for the confidence boost in building sabers. It will not be in vain, because it shall prove invaluable when I finally do build a Tri-Rebel saber.

SPECS
    -MHS parts, including lollypop purple powder coating
    -Luxeon Rebel Star (red)
    -7.4v 800mAh 14500 li-ion battery pack
    -Petit Crouton (Phoenix Jedi's "The Old Republic" font)
    -1.5w 8ohm speaker
    -Recharge port w/kill key
    -Purple ring LED antivandal switches

PICS

VIDEO

And of course, the inspiration. This may be the last saber for the year, but I have a ton of designs left and I'll be aiming to do most of them after a well deserved break.. from the addiction.

I have been waiting for this one. I am very pleased to see it finished. As usual, it is a clean and quality build. I think you would be happier with a Tri, but you can always upgrade later. The hard part is definitely over. Let me know when it is time to put in the Pex and the tri-star. I learned a couple things I forgot to mention in our last conversation.

Thanks! I'm not sure how likely it is that I'll upgrade Twilight; I much prefer having different versions on similar designs. After all, Twilight Sparkle became a princess recently so I'll have to make a version 2 of this saber eventually.
    We'll definitely talk again when I get to the next PC saber. I'm curious as to what you've learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-Taka View Post
    Thanks! I'm not sure how likely it is that I'll upgrade Twilight; I much prefer having different versions on similar designs. After all, Twilight Sparkle became a princess recently so I'll have to make a version 2 of this saber eventually.
    We'll definitely talk again when I get to the next PC saber. I'm curious as to what you've learned.
    You would rather build a new saber than upgrade an existing one...?

You sir, have too much disposable income. Lol.

Like you wouldn't believe, my friend. I have a serious addiction to this hobby. In my defense, the sabers I build usually fund the next project in line. So it's not all from disposable income.. usually..... some of them are..

Besides, having multiple versions is cool! You get a much more literal view of how far you've come in your skills. What's the point of it if you can't admire your work for literally all of the work you put in? I've had a heck of a journey building these sabers and I love seeing how everything has evolved. And it only gets better from here. I won't stop until I build a Crystal Focus LS saber. I'm no slothfurnace but that's not gonna stop me from getting to that level over time. And I plan on watching every step of the way.

YoshiYoshiYoshiYoshiYoshiYoshiYoshiYoshiYoshiYoshi YoshiYoshi!!! This is the one I've been waiting on. I follow Tara Strong on Vine, and every time she says "Dear Princess Celestia," I think of you. She's beautiful, as always. You already know all the praise I'm gonna lay down on you. I'll never tire of your sabers, Ponyboy. Stay Gold.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

Your reactions are the best, I swear it. I wonder how Tara would feel if she saw her character inspired a lightsaber. (Seriously I'd lose my mind)
    A million times over, thank you. Here's hoping 2014 is an equally successful year for sabersmithing.

Small update here. The original build was to include a Tri-Rebel RRW but they were out of stock for a long while. The day they came back in, I ordered one. I tried to wire FoC but it didn't seem to work no matter what I did, so I dropped it. The whole point, however, was a much brighter red blade and it worked splendidly! The two Red dice are wired in series with the driver set to 700 (because I don't want to risk over driving and popping them). I also took pictures to compare the Rebel Star and the Tri-Rebel!

LUXEON REBEL STAR -RED-

LUXEON TRI-REBEL -RRW-

Yes, the pictures were taken at different times but the comparison is still significant. Also a short video to showcase the new LED setup and a changed soundfont. I wanted something to show off a bit more of a wild side, and reflect Twilight's status as a student of Celestia while still being a princess herself. The soundfont is Madcow's "Korriban". Spoiler alert - the saber I'm doing for Celestia will have a similiar font.

This saber continues to prove the true magic of friendship and I couldn't be more proud of my forum, my friends here, my lightsabers, and most importantly my fandoms as a whole. Infinite thanks to Ty_Bomber for his infinite wisdom and my TCSS family on this forum for providing me all of their information posted on this forum. Because of all the reading I was able to do, I was able to take an entire month to prepare myself to work with both the PC and the Tri-Rebel and I couldn't be more confident with either one. LDM, Fenderbender, forgetful jedi knight, Silver Serpent, Ty_Bomber, all of you and so many more are so amazing and I owe my livelihood in this hobby to all of you. I can't wait to work on my next Tri-Rebel saber and with any luck, I'll be able to figure out the best way to use it with the Nano Biscotte. That's the next step in my learning.

Thanks again to everyone for your insight and reading all my babbling. See you next year.

Those tris are definitely a step up. Very happy to see you decided to upgrade, although I am bummed the FoC isn't working. It makes such a difference. You made sure you bridged the pads and used the appropriate resistor, I assume?

Also, let me know if you fiddle with the current settings on that and what you think. That was half the fun on my red blade.

I repeatedly checked and they were bridged properly. Honestly, after trying to decipher the problem several times, I became far too frustrated to work on it any further. After 20 minutes of cooling down, I went back to it and said "well... screw it, I still have my RR" and abandoned the FoC. I'll try it again in a future and if I can't figure it out, I'll ask for further help.

I agree, though, that the Tri-Rebel is a step up. A huge step up. I don't think I can go back to normal Rebel Stars now and if I can confirm my hypothesis with the NB and the Tri-Rebels, I know exactly how I'm going to setup every saber I ever build in the future.. well, until I finally do my CS-LS build, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. I'll fiddle with the drive current next time. I need this one to sell so I can build my personal saber again (a buddy of mine commissioned a saber and I'm finally gonna have someone to duel with!).