Thread: Hilt Idea (comments welcome)

Default Hilt Idea (comments welcome)

Hey everyone, so forgive me if this is in the wrong thread as this is my first post. been doing research all over the internet for the last 2 weeks (after starting playing TOR online) and have decided to take on my own saber build (OMG there are some fantastic artists on here) I am enclosing my idea for my saber build (maybe a little over the top but the reason I started this build was because I fell in love with the hilt in the game and that led me here).

So enclosed are my pictures I have drawn up so far (am currently away from home so have nothing but imagination and MS paint so hopefully you can make out what I am getting at. I have gotten a lot of influence from people on here and tried to add a little of my own so hopefully nobody takes offense. My ideas to run all the wiring through the bottom support tube for the crystal chamber with the battery and speaker in the base and have the rest of the electronics in the blade holder under the switch and recharge port. I am still trying to figure out all the electronics but it doesnt look extremely difficult so hopefully I havent missed anything. Please let me know what you all think

Lightsaber.jpg

lightsaber top.jpg

lightsaber side cutaway.jpg

lightsaber side.jpg

so far I believe the most difficult thing will be machining the threads (just got a lathe and this will be my first time so a lot of practice is going to come in before I attempt the final product. specifically the threads where the blade holder/barrel attaches to the guts and on the other side of the stock also attaches to the handle. The handle will be the only thing that un-threads for the crystal reveal so I may not thread the other end instead just attach it with screws but I am open for options. Also going to acid etch the outside but haven't settled on a design yet.

Thanks all for looking

If you got a lathe, there are blank pieces you can purchase from the store so you don't have to thread your own ends. Then you could machine whatever design you'd like. Play around with the MHS Builder here and it will help you get an idea of sizes and places for buttons etc. I like where you are going with this. Though there are some tricks you will have to work out and research into if you are wanting to be able to have a full removable core and the location of your buttons are iffy. I've seen it done but haven't found any build logs or tutorials to figure out exactly the secret to the full removable chassis.

yea I have played around with the builder and was thinking the same thing the more I looked at it. buying a couple of the pieces here would save a lot of time and just customize them. If my math is right I am looking at just barely enough room for the switch and the board (if i bend the leads on the switch) if i go with a nano board it will be even easier but still just barely. will be interesting to see how the entire thing works itself out. I may end up doing the battery and board in the back of the hilt and just have the switches up front, would ease the installation process just have to min max everything so the entire hilt doesn't end up being 16 inches long....

thanks for the reply though

Looks like an awesome idea! I'm going to keep my eye on this thread, seems interesting.