Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RICE port style 1 as a recharge port?

Default RICE port style 1 as a recharge port?

So I am pretty sure I asked this question in the past, didn't want to dig up a very dead thread so I will ask again Thing is I am going to do an install on an Obi-tpm. I would like to put the RC port at near the top of the hilt (where the pin goes through just below the red switch, only on the opposite side) and don't want the extra big hole for the standard RC port sitting right where my grip would be. Or for that matter destroying the over all original look with a RC port and nut. That said I really don't want the RC port hidden inside the hilt either ( take off pommel to remove kill key etc)
    In fact I wanted to find a small RC port and recess it in that hole. Looks to me like a 3.5mm set up would do nicely (hidden), and there are rice ports at TCSS.
    Any thoughts on this? Is there an alternative for a smaller RC port? Or am I just thinking waaaay to far out of the box?

You could probably wire it up in a manner that would allow you to recharge the saber, but I don't believe it would function as a kill key.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I may have mistyped. I was saying put (make) a killkey that would work in the RICE port. That I know the rice ports are the same set up as a recharge port. Am I wrong?

I don't believe that the internals of the RICE ports will perform the switching necessary for a kill key operation. I could be wrong. I don't have any RICE ports around here to verify their operation.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    I don't believe that the internals of the RICE ports will perform the switching necessary for a kill key operation. I could be wrong. I don't have any RICE ports around here to verify their operation.
    Ah okay. I was thinking that a RICE port was set up similar to a regular RC port. I'm still looking into places where I could get a small port like that for my build. If you find anything out let me know.
    So the real question I should put out is, Will a RICE port act as a recharge port? Maybe that's what I should have started with LOL
    Last edited by Noyl Wendor; 11-05-2013 at 07:18 PM.

I would say that it should be possible to use a RICE port as a recharge port. You'll need to build your own adapter for connecting to the charger. You'll only be using 2 of the posts on the bottom of the port, and you'll have to figure out on your own which to use as + and - for your recharging.

As an FYI, in case you weren't sure: Don't try to use the same port for recharging AND for RICE at the same time. Bad Things (tm) will happen.

Seeing as the RICE ports are using all three connections at once (GND, TX and RX) I'd have to say that they will not function as a battery kill switch. It will work as a recharge port, as Silver Serpent mentioned. There are also other places that sell electronic components that may have a switchable 3.5mm plug that will work as both a recharge port and a kill switch....I believe I have some on hand that I have never used. They are basically the same thing as a headphone jack/plug.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Seeing as the RICE ports are using all three connections at once (GND, TX and RX) I'd have to say that they will not function as a battery kill switch. It will work as a recharge port, as Silver Serpent mentioned. There are also other places that sell electronic components that may have a switchable 3.5mm plug that will work as both a recharge port and a kill switch....I believe I have some on hand that I have never used. They are basically the same thing as a headphone jack/plug.
    Oh very cool that's what I shall look into. Any hints as to where you found these little beauties at JGJ? If so let me know I'm doing some looking about here so I may come up with a solution but any helpful hints on where to look would be cool

I know I've seen at least one youtube video of Erv's where he has a smaller than normal recharge port on a saber. I don't recall what saber it was, how old the video was, or if an actual size is stated in the video, but you could go and watch the videos of his saber builds or maybe send him a message and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbas_reluctant_slave View Post
    I know I've seen at least one youtube video of Erv's where he has a smaller than normal recharge port on a saber. I don't recall what saber it was, how old the video was, or if an actual size is stated in the video, but you could go and watch the videos of his saber builds or maybe send him a message and ask.
    If you are referring to the 1.3mm recharge ports, yes those can be used. However, mounting them can be a bit tricky, since they do not have threaded ends. Those take a LOT of planning to pull off properly.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com