Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Frosting the Blade"

Default "Frosting the Blade"

Well, I think my son's blade has taken it's toll with scratches and such so I started sanding the whole blade to get the frosted thing going on. I have been using 1000 grit and it has been working ok but I still have not gotten it the way I like, If any of you guys have seen Tet's beadblasted stuff y'all know what I talkin' about. Anyway, has anyone else played around with this? Have you used different grits? Do you add film? I am still trying to get a little more even look out of this thing.

What say you?

I just realized that he stilll has the old batteries in there too so I will throw some new ones in and see what I get.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

I use window frosting spray. MUCH easier to get even, and WAY faster to do. Sure, it can scratch and wear off, but all it needs is a respray.
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

I used Black Beauty on the inside.

The problem with doing anything to the outside is that as soon as you hit something, you F-up the texture. The inside doesn't get hit with anything.

Even after sandblasting I had to use Tim's defusor to get an evenly lit blade, otherwise it was real bright at the base and no light at the top.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

What is black beauty? and how do you put it on the inside?

I have not had any problems with messing up the texture since I already did that by sanding the crap out of it.

I have thought of adding some film or something, I didn't like the standard diffuser in there to much, I think it was doing to much with both maybe it was just me.

I admit I am having fun with this but I personally still like the standard TCSS blade look better, more even across the length.

Quote Originally Posted by james3
    What is black beauty? and how do you put it on the inside?

It's just a sandblasting medium...

This is the best pic I could find on a not so quick search...

It's one of the more abrasive mediums you can use.

Edit:
    Here are some pics...
    Please forgive the size, I wanted to show detail.

Left: Sandblasted on the inside w/ BB

Right: Tim's stock setup. (with some use)
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Council Member
    Sith Lord

great pics firebird
    don't know about you guys but i almost like the sandblasted blade better because there is no poly C line. that always kinda buggs me
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Krylon matte spray... so much easier. Few light coats applied every few minute. That's what I do on my models and how I touched up my recent aquisition of the dual tube. In a sense that's exactly what this does too. It makes the second layer that catches color better.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Krylon matte spray... so much easier. Few light coats applied every few minute. That's what I do on my models and how I touched up my recent aquisition of the dual tube. In a sense that's exactly what this does too. It makes the second layer that catches color better.
    You putting that on the outside of the tube?

I was going to give it a try so I am going to run and get some from Home Depot.

Figure WCS is I end up doing some more sanding right? :P

Oh and Firebird, More pics of that blade I like it. And for the new Sig...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yup, on the outside. The key is even and waiting. It's only a few minutes wait though since it's a matte finish. I see it all the time here on models. "Why is my matte spray spotty?"

My responce is always: "How many coats did you use and how long did you wait between coats?" In my experience 3-4 coats is pretty even and looks "frosted".
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Yep, multiple light coats work better every time.

I know cause I have done it both ways and the glob it on method never works out as well

Thanks for that, now if I could just learn how to sew....