Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parts List Check

Default Parts List Check

Hey guys,

I am getting ready to build my first lightsaber for my son as a Christmas present. I would like to get started on it soon, as I don't know how long it will take me to do it, being a noob. Before I order all of the parts I wanted to get some feedback if I have everything I need to get started. Here is what I have sitting in my wish list right now:

White shouldered 1" thick walled blade tip with reflective disc
    1" Thick walled Trans White PolyC 40" long (36 inches +$0.50)
    1.25" Sink tube LED/Blade holder
    8-32 x 1/8" Set screw
    8-32 x 1/2" button head screw
    1-1/4" x 12" Chrome sink tube
    1-1/8" Chrome end cap

Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module- Deep Red
    MWS Short Latching 16mm AV Switch
    1ohm 2w resistor
    82ohm 1/4w resistor
    MWS Pre-Wired Nano Biscotte Sound Module
    MHS speaker and 2x AA battery holder
    2x Tenergy Li-Ion 14500 Rechargeable AA size 3.7V 800mAh
    TrustFire TR-001 All-in-One Charger

Thanks for taking the time to look this over

First off, Welcome to the Forums.

From what I have seen of your list, here's what I see as the "issues":

The NB only takes 3.4V - 5.5V for power, meaning you can only use 1 14500 and a dummy cell, not 2 14500's (though you could buy a second as a spare). Also your resistor calculation looks off for the main LED you would need a 2 Ohm 1 W resistor for a deep red. You also need some type of chassis system (or something) to prevent everything from rattling around within the hilt, since you're using going the sink tube route.

I don't do sink tube sabers, so while your hardware list looks pretty good to me (meaning I don't see anything glaringly wrong with it), I'll wait for SS or some others who have done sink tubes to comment on that part.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks for pointing out the chassis system I hadn't noticed that yet. Could I use the 700 mA buck puck instead of the resistors?

Quote Originally Posted by jmannelson View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the chassis system I hadn't noticed that yet. Could I use the 700 mA buck puck instead of the resistors?
    No, you would need the resistor, as a buck puck needs more than 3.7V to work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Ok gotcha. After reading a little bit more I realize I may need a second momentary switch for the NB, is that correct?

Ok gotcha. After reading a little bit more I realize I may need a second momentary switch for the NB, is that correct?
    No, you only need one momentary switch.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    No, you only need one momentary switch.
    I don't need a latching switch for the main LED?

I don't need a latching switch for the main LED?
    No. Since you are using the NB as a sound board, all you need (all it requires) is 1 momentary switch. You may want to download the manual from the store and go through it carefully
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    No. Since you are using the NB as a sound board, all you need (all it requires) is 1 momentary switch. You may want to download the manual from the store and go through it carefully
    Haha ya that's a good idea. Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it!

Now I may be making a second saber, with the same components (with the changes you noted), except I want this one to have the cyan rebel star. Will that change my battery situation? Will one LiIon 14500 be enough power?