Thread: Thoughts on design

Default Thoughts on design

Not a parts list yet, but a design render. The idea is to go smaller and less clunky than many (including the other two I've made.) It will have a nano board, a single 18650 (don't think 2 would fit even if I wanted them) and a tri-rebel.

It'll need a momentary switch, a recharge port, 2 resistors for the tri-rebel assuming using two dies for the blade and?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

SaberBuilder_render.jpg

Thanks.

With what you have, it will be a very tight fit. And with all the small parts at the back (gear section, very short extension), I'm not sure you're going to be able to get the speaker, chassis disks, the NB, etc, in there. Plus I think that box will be over threads (a no-no). YOu may want to put in a longer extension piece just before the gear section, that should help you out a lot.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

FJK is right, you'd need more space, but I'd go with a longer pommel of some sort and run the speaker down into it. Maybe a customized http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MP...long-P505.aspx. Also, use a 2" DF with http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ac...le-8-P637.aspx. As it so happens, I've built one like your design with a PC but I checked my CAD model and with a few alterations a NB/18650 would work. Space is tight. Speaker sitting on the pommel insert kind of tight... I can throw a pic or two at you if you want.

Thanks for the comments. FWIW, the drawing is a 2"DF with the #8. I had though about a screw in the bottom or one in each side to hold it in place, a micro switch in the box on top, if I can figure out how to mount it and handn't figured out where to put the recharge port yet. If the 18650 will fit in the choke, the nano card should fit in the 2" DF. I'll have to come up with some sort of chassis to hold it in place and to keep the battery from sliding around.

If you could post pics, that would be great.

These are the two I made a couple years ago. I am looking for something a bit smaller now. The shorter one is 12 inches and the longer one is 14 or so, I think. The design I posted is about 10.5"

Nice sabers! If you could get the 18650 into the choke AND get the wires to the main LED past it, seems to me you'd be good to go w/o any part changes. My CAD model has the NB turned 90 degress to the hilt and hung off the speaker for easy card access, and I tapped the recharge port into the 2" section/box.
    Here's a few pics of my attempt just to show how I did the switch and charge port. It was for a 6yr old girl and those were the colors she picked; I'm just the solder monkey... Hope this works...

I was wondering if the NB would fit turned sideways. That would make more space, too. I think I'll probably have to order some parts and see how things fit with the battery in the choke. That's the $64k question at this point.

Nice saber, I expect she really liked it.