Thread: More details on how blade holder is designed?

Default More details on how blade holder is designed?

I am new to this. As are a lot of us I see..
    Before I fill up my shopping cart, I could use a bit more information on blade holder options.
    For the record, my first build will be an attempt to convert a Graflex flash (i own two, that I picked up 20 years ago in my twenties). I'm ready to do cool things with them now. I look forward to my first duel with my son. He's three now, but he'll grow up eventually.
    None of the photos, tutorials, or videos from builds by other seem to cover the details of the blade holders. And, I've seen a LOT of them.
    I'm guessing they're so basic a design that poeple just gloss over them.
    I'm trying to figure out what is inside the holes on either end of them.
    In particular, what's on the other far end of this $32 holder (see image attached or this url http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/As...EDgraflexa.JPG) ? It appears to be the only blade holder option I have for the Graflex, but I want/need to know for sure how the LED will sit in it before I'm comfortable buying one. What keeps the LED from moving around in the hilt?
    Any diagrams, detailed photos, whatever that anyone can point me too that I may have missed. I'm looking for details. And, if I don't get it before I buy it, I'll be certain to post a nice long description of what I find afterwards?

And, on that part, can anyone describe better what the following in red means to me?
    "LED graflex adapter for converting your Graflex to a LED saber. Anodized black. Designed to hold a 1" OD blade. The three 4-40 holes on the back do not match up to the chassis parts we sell. We will be offering some graflex specific chassis parts in the future."
    Thanks
    Al

LEDgraflexa.JPG
    Last edited by A Pieroway; 10-16-2013 at 08:15 PM.

hi!
    I have never done a graflex conversion but I hope I can help you a bit.
    do you see the copper disk on the picture? this is the heatsink. with a thermal tape (also sold here) you can "glue" your led on the heatsink. then you put the lense onto the led and the copperdisk (together with the led) will be screwed into the bladeholder (on one side there are threads). with that done the led will stay in place.

about the 3 holes on the back. for the graflex you more or less need a sled, to put into the tube, for securing your electronics. to build such a sled you use threaded rods and chassis disks (also sold here). when tje sled is complete you just have to slide it into the graflex and secure it with screws so it won't move.

I hope this helps a little.

Just make sure you use the Graflex Chassis disks from the graflex/heiland section of the store and not the MHS Chassis disks. Otherwise the threaded holes on the blade holder will not match up with the holes in the disks making it difficult to secure the blade holder to the rest of your chassis.

Thanks Batosi and Zzan. That certainly does explain a few things. When I'm done, I think I'll still need to do my own newbie tutorial and NOT gloss over the things I had to ask about.
    I appreciate the answers.
    Al

Default Shopping

Hey "Zzan" Great diary your post I expect to your new post! Really feeling the knowledge on this web site. i'm actually happy to post my touch upon your web site...
    iReward Survey provides rewards at the end of the path, including offers for paid surveys, cash prizes, contests, cheap stuff, games, sweepstakes, deals, shopping bargains, and more. Complete the entire survey with valid answers to claim your rewards.