Thread: Worried About Volts

Default Worried About Volts

Hey everyone! I was hoping someone who had been down this path before could give me some pointers. I have been planning a saber with a crystal chamber for awhile now...and I am to the point where I am worried about drawing too many volts.

I am looking at running a RGB tri-cree (GB in parallel) with R for FoC. Plus, I want to run a 3 or 5 mm LED to light up the crystal. But when I add up the volts I am concerned that I will be placing too much demand on a 7.4 volt battery. With the GB in parallel plus the crystal LED I am already at nearly 6.5 volts...and with the FoC di triggered, even at low amps, I am way over 7.4 volts.

I know a CF 6.5 and PC 2.0 can take up to 11v (per the manual). What are some of the solutions you all have found out there? Use a bigger volt battery pack, or use some electrical ninja skills to keep the voltage draw down? Or I am not understanding how a CF or PC dishes out power to the 3.3v pads?

You don't have anything to worry about. Most of the things you're talking about are running in parallel rather than in series. In parallel wiring, you don't add up voltage. You add up current. In series wiring, you would add up voltage.

With the Tri-Cree running two dice in parallel, plus the FoC, and assorted other things, you're looking at a maximum draw of 3.5-4 amps. Most li-ion setups will support that without issue.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure. I sorta feel like an idiot, because when I think about it now, it makes sense that everything on the board would run in parallel. Again, thanks for the help!