Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: luxeon tri rebel led(purple) vs led engine rgba (purple)

Default luxeon tri rebel led(purple) vs led engine rgba (purple)

does anyone know which led makes the brighter purple?

Quote Originally Posted by LeMoel View Post
    does anyone know which led makes the brighter purple?
    The short answer is "it depends". It depends on the shade of purple you are going for (some shades appear "brighter" to the eye), and what you are using to drive it. Both are capable of making a decent (and bright) purple. The main difference is that the LedEngin's will generally take more energy to do it, while the Tri-Rebels won't.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank u for ur help, i hAve another question if u dont mind answering, i have been told that the color for a purple blade doesnt mix well if ur using a ultra edge blade or trans white blade and that using a blade with just poly p mixes the color better. How true is this and does it look bad or just not as good with a trans white blade or is it just exzaggerated? thanks any knowledge would be appreciated

Well, I mainly use VV blades. And I am happy with them. I tried a purple saber in an ultraedge and it looks ok, though the purple is a little washed out, probably because of the white of the blade. Again, these are all judgement calls.

The mixing of a color is not just all about the type (or construction) of a blade, it's also which optics you use, how you drive the LEDs, etc. Those things factor in to some extent.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Wat are vv blades or what is inside them?

Quote Originally Posted by LeMoel View Post
    Wat are vv blades or what is inside them?
    VV are blades made (and sold) by Vader's Vault. They are just lightly sanded with a couple of feet of poly-p rolled up inside of it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Poly-p (clear giftwrap) does work wonders for color mixing. Whether you choose a clear blade, or a trans-white blade, I'd definitely use a few feet of poly-p inside the blade to help mix the colors for a great purple.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I can attest to this. I did this to my Corbin blade. I got the clear wrapping paper from a craft store, rolled up about 18 inches of it, and slid it inside. Instant difference. The cool part is that it evened out the color along the entire blade but also left just enough of the "core" effect visible. This was one of the best and cheapest fixes ever.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Any 'white' blade, whether Ultraedge or the Transwhite here, will give an 'Easter egg' effect to certain colors. The trade off is that the blade is VERY full looking. This is why we sand our blades to give a similar full effect without compromising the shade or brightness. I will say that the Transwhite sold here is more translucent than the Ultraedge so doesn't shave brightness or affect shade as bad. For a 32-36" I use about 5ft of Poly-P inside.

On the LEDs, in my testing I have found the Tri's to be brighter and they generate a LOT less heat and use less power than the LEDengins for purple. I haven't used a LEDengin in about a year now.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Now I don't know if you guys will recieve this so i'll probably end up talking to no one, but if you do I have a very pressing question regarding purple.

So I am new to the whole saber building thing and I really want to start working with my hands and building from the ground up (I've modified and repaired my friends PC's before so I'm not awful with electronics but sabers are a whole new medium).

I've watched a plethora of videos on how the LED system works and I'm still not 100% sure on how everything works exactly and I don't want to spend 70 bucks on a lighting unit only to break it. I am aware that I can purchase solid colour pre-made Lighting units on the site, but I can't find purple anywhere. I was wondering if anybody could take a picture of the electronic schematic of their purple saber and send it to me. Specifically the lighting unit, I'd like to see how one could obtain a rich violet hue.

This would be my first saber build. I'm going for a Mace Windu inspired build. A newbies best attempt at electrum metal and a violet hue seeing as that is what my fan fiction character's blade(s) looks like. I also cannot afford sound at the moment as I have a lot of other things to buy at the moment. Astro's, PS4 Destiny special edition, and a new PC - yes I'm a 16 year old working two jobs, that's why I can afford all that. So far this is what I was thinking...

Hilt: Style 3 with guarded switch hole (Powder coated Gold style 2)
    LED Blade Holder: Style 13 (sun Gold)
    Extension: Double Male with slots (I was hoping to put a 'crystal' in there looking to replicate Windu's Guile - The cystal found on Hurrikaine that is violet coloured)
    AV Switch: White (Unless I can make that purple as well)

I'm hoping to add sound in the near future. Essentially what I'm asking for is a saber similar to this. Now keep in mind not NEARLY as intricate. Just a small crystal showing, illuminated by basic LEDs and a nice vibrant purple hue. Also a violet AV switch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ily5-gDSHIk

Skip to 8:34 for AV switch concept

Skip to 8:49 for blade hue and crystal CONCEPT. I WILL NOT ATTEMPT SOMETHING SO BADASS FOR SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF TIME. Just having a crystal illuminated by a secondary LED. I just need to know how to go about doing that.

As I said before, I want to get a nice juicy saber before I add sound.

If you guys think this is a little adventurous for a 16 year old newbie, I'll most likely start with the Blue, and keep it basic. Although I'd still like to know how to get a juicy purple.

A lot of posts in one but you guys seem to know your stuff so I hope you can help