Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My take on the Mandalorian dark bladed lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthalptraum418 View Post
    How did you make the light shine through and get the cracks in it?
    It looks like a Ripper blade.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

It *is* a Ripper blade. This is his thread.

As for how he does it, I'm not sure. I assume it's a trade secret, unless he's posted his methods somewhere.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    It *is* a Ripper blade. This is his thread.

As for how he does it, I'm not sure. I assume it's a trade secret, unless he's posted his methods somewhere.
    Acrylic which most of his flat blades are and polycarbonate have an edgelite property where they pipe light as long as there is no surface disruption. Etch the blade with a fine tip etching bit on a dremel or any other rotary etching tool and you have the effect. The higher the quality resin the better the effect. Also acrylic has a better light pipe but polycarbonate is much more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Acrylic which most of his flat blades are and polycarbonate have an edgelite property where they pipe light as long as there is no surface disruption. Etch the blade with a fine tip etching bit on a dremel or any other rotary etching tool and you have the effect. The higher the quality resin the better the effect. Also acrylic has a better light pipe but polycarbonate is much more durable.
    Will this method work with a black acrylic?

Smoked acrylic yes but not as bright. Opaque black no. One theory I have not tried but been toying with would be to paint the blade with black appliance enamel and then sand the edges and add the etching.