Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My take on the Mandalorian dark bladed lightsaber.

Tres belle realisation, very nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvUpei4Qexk If you can do a video of your saber with this sound font It would be so awesome I can't even describe it

This is really awesome. I'd loke to make something similar, and was wondering where you got your acrylic. I would be happy to know as soon as is convenient for you, and would would appreciate greatly a response

Yeah, I know, no black blade threads. I didn't start this one though, and this is an actual attempt that is cool! I have a suggestion; what if the clear section was painted black, so that only the edge around the blade and the crackling lines in the interior was visible? Then the only light showing would be the outline and the crackly parts. Light could still pass through the thickness of the blade, because the end at the emitter would allow the light through. A wilder idea would be to somehow mirror the clear area towards the inside and paint black on top of that to reduce light loss due to absorption. Light could bounce around in the interior thickness and then the edges and crackly parts might be brighter.

Rip has made many, many more black blades since then and they are much better looking now, too. He also has started making other polyC blades like he said he was planning to do, although I'm not sure if he has made these black blades out of polyC. I'll let him know this topic is alive again.

I would like to see pictures of those; has he posted any of them somewhere?

He posts very regularly in his facebook group

I know this is an old thread. And I'm not trying to take anything away from the hard work that went into creating this blade, but no one has sad anything about the very large elephant in the room. This fine blade is made from acrylic, which from the looks of it is clear apart from the beveling and scratches we see. How else would it light up to show off those features? The only reason this, or any other clear acrylic blade, would appear black is the background it's photographed against. No black background and all you see is a clear blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic Jedi View Post
    I know this is an old thread. And I'm not trying to take anything away from the hard work that went into creating this blade, but no one has sad anything about the very large elephant in the room. This fine blade is made from acrylic, which from the looks of it is clear apart from the beveling and scratches we see. How else would it light up to show off those features? The only reason this, or any other clear acrylic blade, would appear black is the background it's photographed against. No black background and all you see is a clear blade.
    Rip's newer dark blades are actually colored black, not clear so you don't have that problem. =]

He still makes clear acrylic blades, too, but vastly different styles than just the pre vizsla.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    Thanks for taking a look at my work.
    This is my version is the black blade seen in the Clone Wars TV show.

The saber its self is a 1" ID aluminum tube with 3/4" copper tube accents, at 10 7/8" long from the copper emitter piont.
    Powering a P4 white LED with with a single 14500 li-ion battery because of the space in the tube. This is a stunt saber. One day I will have the cash for a Nano Biscotte to be put into my sabers. But for now just the stunts at this size.

The blade, is acrylic at 2' long, 1.5" wide and 1/4" thick cut and shaped to be the blade you see. There is also a 29 3/4" long Poly C blade as well. I love a 3/4" blade for the more laser look it gives a saber. I think folks worry too much about the 3/4" blades. They hold up just fine at 35" to 30" long. It may whip just a lil but not much at that size, plus it's Poly C witch can withstand the impact. Poly C can withstand 250 times the impact of glass as to acrylic can only do 15 times the impact. So there's my logic for using 3/4" blades.

Why use acrylic and not Poly C for the black blade? Poly does not polish as well as acrylic and it's not as clear. Plus for a 1/4" peace 12.80/sq.ft, is costly anyway. Acrylic is cheaper and better looking. Thanks for looking and I hope the pics are cool.

http://youtu.be/b1GvcfVrxws

Thanks for lookin guys!!
    How did you make the light shine through and get the cracks in it?