Thread: New to the scene

Default New to the scene

Hi everybody!

Thanks for all the great info in these forums. I'm working on gathering parts for my first build. I'm very impressed with the offerings and prices at TCSS. Just wanted to say hey and ask my first question. I've read a little about sanding blades. I got my hands on some clear polycarbonate for my blades and my question is, does it make that much of a difference to sand the blade? Is sanding sufficient to be a good diffuser, or do you still need to put some kind of film inside? I guess I'm trying to figure out if I can just sand and get a good effect, or if I need sanding and a diffuser, or if a diffuser by itself is sufficient and sanding is redundant. Thanks!

First, Welcome to the Forums.

Generally speaking the "best blades" are typically lightly sanded and have film inside of them to help with color mixing and such.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

To the Forum, you are welcome!
    As FJK said use both. Sanding the blade helps soften & even out the "edge" while the diffuser helps to carry the light up and make the "core" of the blade. Opalescent material give a variegated core and is a neat effect while a wrap of colored material will provide something for a camera to see if there's too much ambient light.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. I'll post a picture after my first build. This has been surprisingly addictive. I think it is because when I was a kid, I always thought how cool it would be if I had a real lightsaber. Some subconscious part of me must be geeking out inside to actually be building one I can battle with. I've also learned how much money you can suddenly spend on this kind of thing.

Here are some pics of my first hilt, finished today. I'll put the blade together tomorrow.
    image (3).jpg

image (2).jpg

image (1).jpg

image.jpg