Thread: A Few Questions Concerning Crystals and Wires

Default A Few Questions Concerning Crystals and Wires

Hi, so I am beginning to plan my saber, and will begin ordering parts soon. The basics of it, I think I can hack out when it comes down to it, but there is one topic on which I see no relevant information here.

I (eventually) want my saber to have a crystal chamber, specifically using this part: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Do...lots-P397.aspx

However, with the configuration I want, this would require wires from my bladeholder/LED to run straight through my crystal chamber. At first I was a little dismayed, but then I had an idea - I could run all the necessary wires (as well as a nifty LED to light up the crystal) straightthrough the center of the crystal, thus hiding those unsightly wires.

My question is this - have any of y'all ever tried anything like this? I was thinking I could either drill appropriate holes into a preformed crystal, likely quartz, or, more attractively, I could embed the wires and LED in clear acrylic resin and let it set up around the wires and LED in a crystal-ish shape.

I'm leaning towards the acryllic resin idea if at all possible. The only problem is, I know that LED's are damaged by high heat (which resin can generate as it cures), and if powered high enough will need a heatsink. For a middle-of-the-road LED, around what temperature does the LED begin to be damaged? And if not very bright, could it do without the heatsink?

Or do any of y'all have any other recommendations for hiding wires that need to pass through an open area such as a crystal chamber? The wires are what I am most worried about.

Many times, the wires are hidden by metal tubing or hidden channels. If you look in the "Chassis Parts" section of the store http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ch...Parts-C74.aspx you can find metal tubing that works really well for this purpose.

Drilling a quartz crystal is very likely to result in a shattered crystal. A small accent LED could be embedded in a resin "crystal" without any heat issues. Be advised that if you run the wires through the middle of your crystal, they will definitely NOT be hidden. Most crystal chambers that I've seen use a small accent LED (or two) placed next to the crystal and illuminate it that way.

Another possibility for hiding your wiring is to use ribbon cable like you find in your computer, and place it along the inside walls of your crystal chamber. The ribbon wire could be painted to help hide it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks for the advice. I'd hate to have to track down a drill press only to end up with a face full of shattered quartz as my only result.

I think I am going to go with the resin idea then.

Do you happen to know of any LED brands/types that are predictable as far as the failure-point for heat goes? I've been researching various casting/molding resins and they all seem to get pretty hot during the curing process. So I am still worried about the heat from the curing process rendering the LED useless.

I've cast small resin items before. Small items rarely generate enough heat to be uncomfortable in your hand while they're curing. If an LED can survive in your car on a summer day, it'll survive the heat of the curing process.

I filled a soda bottle with resin once, and it made enough heat to warp the wrapper, but that was it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Your wires won't be hidden there either. They will show up when the crystal is lit up. The reason you don't want visible wires is??? In a working piece of electronics it would be completely reasonable for wires to exist after all If you just absolutely can't live without them hidden, order a custom milled channel (or 2) on the inside of that DM extension to run the wires through, then cover them with silver mylar and they will be invisible, of course that would only be the way to go if you truly want them to actually be hidden

Oh yeah, you light a crystal with a single 5 mm HO led which will only have a Vf of around 20 mA which will never heat up enough to melt anything, so no need to worry about that.

Finally, what I suggest above is one of about 100,000 different ways to hide the wires if you so desire. If you don't like that option, my suggestion to you would be to simply walk around Home Depot or Lowe's or your local Ace and just look at parts to give yourself ideas. I promise that you will come up with many ideas that nobody else (yes, even me) have ever thought of This is an exceptionally creative hobby and if you simply allow yourself to become immersed into the process, you can do some really cool stuff.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll simply buy a handful of LEDs and play around with some resin until I find a process that works. Im much more reassured now that I know the resin likely wont destroy the LED. That was my main concern.

And I can live with the wires being visible inside the crystal, that would look kind of cool actually. I just didnt want them dangling about in the chamber lol.