Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: LED blade diffuser

What about sanding the outside of the PolyC tube? I've heard that works well as a diffuser, it's sometimes called 'frosting'. I havn't tried it yet but other people have and liked the results. What's you'r opinion Stryder?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I think that sanding the tube might work but would take too damn long for me to use as a sellable item. I have tried frosting spray which did not work good enough.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I Think i have developed a good diffuser. i first tried the MR one and it was too much. So i thought about sanding but it would not produce a consistant look. THen a buddy comes in my shop and suggest glassbeading the inside of the tube. I threw it in my glassbead cabinet and just blasted inside the 3/4 x 1/8 polycarb tube and it produced a very consistant diffuser. I was also having a problem with a spot towards the end not looking as bright as the rest so I put a piece of "chrome" tape on the half sphere on the inside to reflect the light back down the tube. It also prevents any light from escaping on the end. Total time blasting one tube was less than 5 minutes so its not too time consuming. Let me know what u think!

Post some pics?

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Here are some pics. they don't show up on film as good as in person. Top is MR and lower is bead blasted

Sounds cool, but what if you don't have a bead blasting machine? []

Bead blasting is available at most machine shop; but i think The custom saber shop will make the best solution available to to everybody. actually a sand blaster w/ glass as the medium and a trash can be a make shift blasting cabinet. I have sent Tim a sample so will see how it goes.

I think the bead blasting turned out nice. It would just be a little too involved for me to mass produce. I think I have finally found a good diffuser and will hopefully have a sample within the next few weeks.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

please let us know as soon as you find out if it works. hopefully it will.

I'm just curious what you have in mind for a diffuser, Strydur. If it is top secret, you don't have to say; I just have an inquisitive mind [].