Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: LED blade diffuser

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Does the blade look nice when in normal light and its not turned on?

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Blog Entries

tetmatek,
    your samples look impressive. I want to do this.

Forgive me, I have zero knowledge of bead/sand blasting so I have very basic question.

Is the translucence uniform throughout the blade?
    How does the blade feel, rough, scratchy, fuzzy?
    Can the blasting be done on the inside of the tube?
    Is a high volume air compressor necessary or will a small compressor do?
    Do you just stick the work and the sand blaster in the cabinet/trash can and turn it on? Or do you need to look at the work piece and manually move a nozel around?

Thanks.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

i have tried both inside then another done on the outside. the inside did not difuse as well in the center. but the outside was very even i thought and did not milk up the color with whit. alot of why theres looks pink in room lighting. i have one more test which is using a 3/4 polyc tube inside the 1 inch. the outside blasting is the way to go. i am afraid the inner tube might be too heavy. the glass bead media leaves it uniform and is hard to over do if you happen to stop in one spot longer than others. basically the trash can is your cabinet. it will help contain the blast media. if you want to get fancy cut to holes for your arms get some rubber gloves like the kind you do dishes with . then get a piece of lexan(plexiglass) and cut square hole for a window to see what u r doing. Kind looks like this. very crude i know but should get the wheels turning

o [] o

poke a hole in the side of the can to run the blaster thru. i think lowes or HD sell a kit with gloves and helmet(needed if u can't put the lid on. a small compressor (next size up from airbrush model should work. im me or e mail if u need anymore help

the blade looks like a frosted light bulb(like the rough service bulbs for automotive drop lights) in normal light with saber off. the white MR style diffuser tends to milk out the color giving a pink look at times. my next test is going to use a 3/4 " half sphere with a polished aluminum disc stusch to it. instead of reflecting back at itself it would theoretiically go out the blade creating less light degradation at the tip.

why not put a lens in the center of the blade and a dime mirror at the tip?

I did an experament I took a stock MR blade and with the foam that covers the leds i sliped some of tim's HD polyethylene inside and took a simple led from radioshack and stuck it in there it was bright as heck with no light on imagine a luxeon with it if some one could test it out with a luxeon and come back with the details or pics it would be cool

hey tim, any word yet on the diffusers?

Any of you guys seen those LED sabers on eBay that have blades that have what looks like a metallic blade?

Must be a weird type of diffuser, was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Any of you guys seen those LED sabers on eBay that have blades that have what looks like a metallic blade?

Must be a weird type of diffuser, was wondering if anyone had any insight.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I think your refering to UltraSWG's silver blades. It's just his normal stuff with a white LED.

No. Thats not what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

It looks like a metallic diffuser of some sort.