Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: South-Paw Jinn's First saber: Callandor! PC 2.0, Tri-Rebel, Charge Port and R.I.C.E.

I have a broken heart! I didn't realize the diamond knurling was $15 per inch. Back to the drawing board! The price is reasonable, but now I know why just $15 was too good to be true. Maybe I'll leather wrap the back end instead, cap the wrap with two trim rings to make it tidy.

Could maybe use a carbon fiber contact paper or something.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

Or perhaps something like this wooden sleeve?:

Nice! I like the pommel better too.

I'm still using the (nearly) flush mount pommel, but that detail at the end if the sleeve does give the appearance of a more substantial pommel.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Nice! I like the pommel better too.

I feel like I am leading you guys on. Heck, I'm leading myself on, but I made a decision and my first part has been ordered! I chose a black lacquered wooden sleeve. The grain won't pop like my other option but, it looked unbalanced with the black powder coating at the front end (which I would not deviate from). Short of adding a wooden element at the front end too, I just couldn't achieve the aesthetic balance I was going for. So, black it is!

Hope to order the rest of the parts today - waiting for the powder coating options to open up... It's the 16th... Waiting. Waiting patiently . Precioussssss.

So in anticipation of my yet to be ordered hardware's arrival, I was researching ways to pimp my saber. I am using the matte black powder coating, and I really want the bare aluminum to shine, for contrast. I watched someone use 3M brand machine glaze (non wax, mind you!) to polish their saber. I can't find the stuff anywhere so I decided to experiment. First time was the charm however, and I'm here to tell you Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish worked extremely well. My hilt went from a hazy dull tube to a chromey goodness show piece! I realize it may be bad form to show this product below but, I needed to experiment on something I didn't mind ruining before using on my TCSS bundles of joy - which I hope the UPS Stork brings me in just weeks, now.

Before:

After:

Tips for those of you who don't like to read instructions: don't swallow this stuff (swallow=death) and don't use it on plated pieces, I.e sink tubes - is for solid, polishable metals only.
    Last edited by South-Paw Jinn; 09-16-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Oh yes, I swear by Mother's Mag polish. A little bit goes a long way. And a buffing wheel on your dremel makes it go much quicker. Wear a face shield if you're polishing with motorized tools though, that stuff flies everywhere.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

A buffing bit is next on my shopping list, my dremel is collecting dust (not the good kind). I'm thrilled this stuff worked - my hilts are Cylon shiny! Makes me wanna rig a power indicator (or similar) to pulse red, left to right, like a cylon visor! Could creat my own cylon saber font, you know, that menacing, slow oscillating hum... I digress, there is a whole other thread for this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Oh yes, I swear by Mother's Mag polish. A little bit goes a long way. And a buffing wheel on your dremel makes it go much quicker. Wear a face shield if you're polishing with motorized tools though, that stuff flies everywhere.