Thread: "Lyra v2" by Yoshi-Taka

Default "Lyra v2" by Yoshi-Taka

Two sabers in a row?!
    Some sabers deserve an update. The original Lyra felt bulky and incomplete. So after changing the boxes, the switches, the accent LEDs, the emitters, and adding powder coating to the ribbed section, a new Lyra has been born!

This is Lyra v2. Equipped with a new soundfont and a much sleeker style, I feel this is a better representation of the unicorn (especially in the green that actually matches her coat really well). This also marks the first time I get to do actual custom work. Normally that means drilling the holes for the set screw or the covertec wheel. This time, I modified a pair of chassis discs so the NB could sit upside down, allowing for more room for wiring. I also modified a spare pommel insert so it could be vented for sound; I'm dubbing it the "pentagon pommel".. even if I screwed up the name in the video.

Did you know the chassis discs can be tapped to hold 6-32 screws? I didn't until today.

SPECS
    -All MHS parts, including neon green powder coating
    -3.7v 18650 3400mAh li-ion battery, with recharge port
    -Nano Biscotte v1.0 (Novastar's "Episode III [Anakin]" soundfont with my signature boot sound)
    -modified parts, including chassis discs and pommel insert
    -Seoul P4 (green)
    -Green dot momentary antivandal switch
    -d-ring for belt clips

PICS

VIDEO

The next saber will be far more streamlined and interesting. Also it'll be another original, not a remake.
    Last edited by Yoshi-Taka; 09-07-2013 at 08:28 AM.

OH MY GOD, YOSHI! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! TWO SABERS IN TWO DAYS? YOU'RE GOING TO KILL ME!!!

Also, she is gorgeous. I love that powedercoating, and maybe this is me, but the blade actually seems to be a different color than V1. You're killing me over here, sir.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

Madcow never did an Ep III. soundfont. It is either Novastar's Ep. III Obi/Ani or Anatim's Ep. III.

Good job on the build.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Quote Originally Posted by MandoJoe View Post
    OH MY GOD, YOSHI! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! TWO SABERS IN TWO DAYS? YOU'RE GOING TO KILL ME!!!

Also, she is gorgeous. I love that powedercoating, and maybe this is me, but the blade actually seems to be a different color than V1. You're killing me over here, sir.
    lol, yeah. Extra income means extra projects. Too bad that's extremely rare.

Thank you. It's not you, the blade does appear to be different. I think it's an instance of "not all LEDs are the same". I also have a different camera now (read: a crappier phone). It still looks more like a normal green in person, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    Madcow never did an Ep III. soundfont. It is either Novastar's Ep. III Obi/Ani or Anatim's Ep. III.

Good job on the build.
    Huh. Been using the font so long, I guess I forgot who did it. Oops. It's Novastar's EP3 Obi/Ani. Not sure why I've been thinking it's a Madcow font..

Thanks! For both the correction and complement.

A nice V2 Yoshi. Man, you are right about that neon green being so much brighter in person (or at least via pictures/video).
    Nice work with the modified pommel insert and chassis disks!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Thanks! The chassis discs were a pain to do because my dremmel isn't that great but it was worth it. The wire I used to tie the discs together was annoying too but it keeps the NB in the discs which is good. I thought it was a cute trick.

And yes, the green is very bright. But given how bright the inspiration's fur is, it actually matches well. It really took me by surprise.

Great saber, but a quick suggestion: I'd either trim your wires a bit shorter or put some heat shrink on the connections closest to the board. You've got some overhang and it could potentially cause a short. Great work!

You're referring to how much exposed wire there is, right? Admittedly, that's something I need to keep working on.

Yeah, it's just a suggestion. Great job still!

Hey, it's not the first time you've given me helpful advice. I certainly welcome it and thank you for it, as well as the praise.