Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expected brightness of Tri-Rebel RRW

Default Expected brightness of Tri-Rebel RRW

Given a saber with the Luxeon Tri-Rebel RRW and the matching 18-degree lens, both from the TCSS store, what kind of brightness from the blade should I be expecting?

Not really expecting an answer in lux/lm or anything - more just a general ballpark.

Umm...I don't have a RRW, but I used a GGW. Expect it to be very bright. In a fully lit room (not sun lit, but well lit with lights) my GGW at 1000ma hurt my eyes a bit.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

That's what I was expecting/hoping, but it hasn't turned out that way for me.

The two red dies are wired in parallel, powered from a 7.4V battery source with the driver set to 1400mA (the maximum rate drive current according to the datasheet).

In a room lit only by an overhead bulb, the LEDs aren't even lighting a standard tube fully.

Red does not appear as bright to the eyes as green. With my Rebel RGB saber, the single red is the dimmest of the colors to my eyes. It's still quite noticeable indoors.

You appear to be powering the LED properly, and using the right optics. What kind of blade are you using? Is it clear, trans-white, do you have any diffuser in it? Your blade may be the issue with the brightness. I use a trans-white blade with about 4 feet of clear cellophane in it, and get very nice results. A clear tube with no diffuser will likely give you "meh" results.

Also, verify that the batteries are fully charged. Low batteries are very noticeable with the reds.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

The thin-walled "Corbin style" show blade from TCSS, with diffuser. And yes, the battery is fully charged.

Is 700mA the true maximum amperage of these die? Some posts on the forums with other dies talk about running them at 1000mA instead. Does that work for the reds?

Quote Originally Posted by keybuk View Post
    The thin-walled "Corbin style" show blade from TCSS, with diffuser. And yes, the battery is fully charged.

Is 700mA the true maximum amperage of these die? Some posts on the forums with other dies talk about running them at 1000mA instead. Does that work for the reds?
    No, with Tri-Rebels, if you went 1000 mAh per die, you would likely pop the LED. Reds need less amperage and voltage to run. 700- 750 is basically the max they can SAFELY take. What resistor did you use on these LED's?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The original Rebel reds were limited to 700mA max. I've heard that the newer ones can go higher, but I've not verified it. If your driver is adjustable, you might try increasing it in small amounts to see if there's an improvement.

There is a risk of blowing the LEDs if you overdrive them. If they get bright and then suddenly go dim, cut power IMMEDIATELY.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I am not gonna lie. I wired my two reds in series and ran them at 1500mah...

hurt to look at the blade. No problems yet though!

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    No, with Tri-Rebels, if you went 1000 mAh per die, you would likely pop the LED. Reds need less amperage and voltage to run. 700- 750 is basically the max they can SAFELY take. What resistor did you use on these LED's?
    No resistor, just driver board set to 1400mA in the config file.

I also tested the dies individually the old fashioned way, with a 3V battery pack and a 1 Ohm resistor - given the spec sheet 2.3 V this should have given them 700mA - this measured out at the rough same brightness as the driver was giving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    I am not gonna lie. I wired my two reds in series and ran them at 1500mah...

hurt to look at the blade. No problems yet though!
    In series wouldn't they be drawing 4.6V and 700mA?

Compared to 2.3V and 1400mA in parallel.