Thread: Original, from scratch, saber font?

Default Original, from scratch, saber font?

Has anyone made an original, from scratch, saber font. Not one captured from the games, movies, etc. Similar to this article here. http://www.dblondin.com/071807.html
    The author was at least familiar with the crystal focus. Trying to find a font like that, a full recreation, not a capture. Anyone know of any?

EDIT: He made a font!!! See below
    Last edited by vargose; 01-07-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Sure several were made like that. The person was even mentioned in the article, along with the Crystal Focus board. If you have been in the community for a while, you would better know him on FX as NOVASTAR. Some fonts like that are some of my favorites, such as Satori Zen, and Elemental Ice, which are ones he did ages ago.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks. I am looking for a full recreation of the lightsaber sounds. I want them to sound like the movies, just not captured from the movies, games, etc. The non-star wars one's are interesting, but that's not what I am looking for. Understand what I am getting at?

I'm sure you already know about saberfont.com, but you might go over there and try to contact the more prolific font makers. Novastar or one of the others may have already created what you're looking for. Many of those fonts include sound capture from Star Wars media, but I'm sure there are a few that are made from scratch.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    Sure several were made like that. The person was even mentioned in the article, along with the Crystal Focus board. If you have been in the community for a while, you would better know him on FX as NOVASTAR. Some fonts like that are some of my favorites, such as Satori Zen, and Elemental Ice, which are ones he did ages ago.
    Any more like these that are completely original, even if they are outside the SW universe?

Here is another article on it to get the wheels going.
    The Lightsaber Sound Effect | Blue Distortion
    Last edited by vargose; 09-06-2013 at 09:38 PM.

So I got in touch with the Author of the article here Lightsaber Sound Cookbook
    I encouraged him to make an actual saber font and he did. These sounds are an original creation by him. They were not sourced from the movies or games. They do reproduce the lightsaber sound well. I plan on using it in all my future sabers

He called it swarm. Check it out
    Swarm Soundfont for Crystal Focus 6+ - YouTube

He also made some killer menu sounds. I was impressed for sure.

That font is already posted/on sale on SaberFont.com .... just as an FYI

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    That font is already posted/on sale on SaberFont.com .... just as an FYI
    Yeah it is. I am glad he shared it with the saber world. He did a great job on swarm.

I've just started having a play with sounds of my own: it's not as easy as you might think!

Can anyone tell me how a font typically comes? Mp3? Wav? and what kind of bitrate etc?

EDIT: Nevermind, improved my google-fu. It varies, but frequently 16bit, mono, and some kind of compression, often in a video format.
    Last edited by TheBaconWizard; 01-27-2016 at 06:16 AM.

your first stop should be plecter labs...read/follow what he has posted over there about making fonts

then do a search..