Thread: What speakers are best?

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Default What speakers are best?

I have been contemplating which speakers to get so I thought I would ask everyone what they thought.

What is the best speaker to get for really loud and awesome sound?

When I look at the 3 available speakers in the Store I am not sure which is best.

They have the premium speaker which they say is very high quality but it only pulls 1.5 to 2 watts max and I cant help but wonder if the 2 to 3 watt Bass Speaker would be better and louder. The Bass Speaker also costs more so that is another reason why I wonder if it is better.

What are your thoughts?
    What do you think is the best speaker?
    "Around the survivors a perimeter create"
    - Yoda
    We should all start speaking backwards to see if we become more enlightened
    - SirRender

They all have slightly different qualities. The bass speakers obviously have more bass. The tiny ones are great for builds where space is at a premium, and the premium speakers (which were for a long while, the only type of speaker option) are pretty good overall.

Things like what type of "resonance chamber" you plan to have/make and how the sound is vented are also important into getting a good sound.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

I would guess that a deeper pommel would give you more resonance but how about the vents? Would smaller vents like vent holes be louder than larger vents?
    - Yoda
    - SirRender

I've tried the various vented MPS pommel inserts with different sizes/shapes/patterns of vent holes on the same pommel to check and it didn't make any difference I could hear [YMMV of course]...except that the solid one predictably muffled the sound LOL, so don't worry about the vented pommel inserts they will all work...pommel choice with their varying internal volumes and how you adjust resonance in the hilt will be much more important.

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Awesome!
    Thanks for the tips.

I had another quick question regarding speakers. If I have a 4 watt amp on my soundcard does that mean I can safely attach two 2 watt speakers to it? If so then how do I go about it? Do I just connect the additional speaker to the + and - wires of my current speaker?
    - Yoda
    - SirRender

A single speaker is usually sufficient for any saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I think that is how I would go about it, but I haven't attempted it myself. I know Sunrider has done it on his, you can check his newer work. I think you would have more issues mounting it than wiring it, truth be told, but it should work.

I've noticed that the bass speakers sound better with some fonts than others (MO). Generally I use the standard speaker from TCSS, never had an issue with sound. I just make sure my resonance chamber is some where within an inch or so.
    The issue I have had with the bass speaker is all the air getting pushed out the back of the speaker when its in the hilt. An easy fix, make sure you have a good sealed back for the air to hit when you use it. With the same amount of resonance chamber a 2 watt bass is pretty nice, and brutal sounding depending on the font you like.
    For instance, I'm using the Korriban font with my NB, a two watt bass with a good backing (speaker mount) and good resonance (pommel style it makes the kids jump when I turn it on