Thread: My Saber Collection

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Default My Saber Collection

So I guess I've been here enough I should post my Saber Pics now. I know none of them are like super great or anything, but I think they are at least kinda unique.

None of these have names, I don't really know how you choose a good name for a saber... I have basically been working on Saber designs I came up with years ago while bored in my High School Math Classes; I've been making some good progress both in wiring them up and in getting through my list of designs, but still have a few to go when I get more money lol.

So this First Saber I made a little more than a year ago. Its just a simple AAA Battery Pack with a BuckPuck.

This Second one doesn't really count, it has no electronics in it whatsoever, and the only TCSS part is the D-Ring, but still, I thought it was interesting to make.

Third one I used to test out Wiring a Recharge Port with Li-ion Batteries, kept the Buck Puck cause I didn't want to try adding sound yet. Did get to wire up a A/V switch though. This Third one I had in mind to make a whip, and successfully did (out of fiberoptic cable). White Rebel LED with 2 Purple filters made what my sister called "Twilight Sparkle Purple", and I am cool with that.

And then I have this one. To keep on getting more complex, I gave this one the Nano Biscotte with a Rechargable Li-ion single cell, all that good stuff. Basically building upon my previous sabers, and building up to my next.

And there you have it, That's it for now til I get more dinero!

EDIT1:
    For my wedding, I finally created my “signature” designed saber which I have been building up to creating since the beginning of my time here (based on one of my earliest saber design sketches back in the day). It is an asymmetrical saberstaff/dual wield quick-disconnect saber/pair, with NanoBiscottes (the shorter sporting the Shoto font), PLIs, and Amber Cree LEDs. The longer comes out to about 11.5” long, while the shorter is about 8.5” long. They both have brass sink tube shrouds, with a simple (but accurate to my initial design) cut aesthetic. The grips are made from the self-adhesive texturized rubber I bought for these sabers years ago (and tested as the grips for my first saber). And finally, I was lucky enough to have Tim sell me the extra Quick-Disconnect Coupler prototypes he had left, including some brass buttons for them. Those couplers are truly the jewel of this saber, and what made it even possible for me to realize! (As noted by previous testers, it was very easy to cut myself on their edges until I chamfered them with sandpaper, and after sustained use overtime they have developed a slight “wiggle” between them – likely due to the softness of aluminum. If future versions are made, I would gladly pay a premium for steel versions. But overall, best purchase I have ever made from TCSS!) Anyways, here is my final product (one of the AV LEDs was on the fritz, but has since been fixed:

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by Cire Yeldarb; 09-24-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

These are my Character-Replica sabers.

I have a few in progress but, as you can see, there are no finished ones yet
    Last edited by Cire Yeldarb; 09-24-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

These are sabers I have created based off of random inspiration, and are not a part of my main line of High-School-Designed sabers...

The first of which is Antikva, my entry into the Saber-Building contest. Antikva was inspired by my years antiquing with my grandmother, and so in trying to name it i put the word "antique" through google translate until i liked one of the translations lol. It was meant took like an ancient saber, designed way back in the day. Going with this theme, i decided against either a covertec or a d-ring in favor of a more unique system with a cap that is attached directly to the belt with a chain.

This saber was a secret wedding gift for my Fiance (now Wife)! Because its for her i engraved her name in the bottom in the sith letters, using the dremel flex attachment. Since the pommel is solid to accommodate the engraving, i did reverse sound placing the mini speaker in the middle of the saber, and drilling some holes in the black spaces in the center section for sound to escape.

The thing i like most about this saber though is the rotary switch i hooked up for manual color changing and the hinged access hatch i hand made to access the rotary witch and the recharge port. I ground down the blade holder adapter to be able to fit a mini rare earth magnet on it, to hold the hatch closed when not being used. I used a red momentary switch opposite the hatch to tale the place of the red cabochon i removed from the area. I had previously asked my fiance in a "hypothetical" conversation what color lightsaber she would have, to which she came to no definitive conclusion, prompting me to make this with a color switch option. I was able to trick her into picking her favorite shade of purple (or in her case more pinkish) by tinkering with the resistances of the tri-rebel in her presence and off-handedly asking her what shade she liked best for this new saber i was working on. After she picked one, i noted the resistance of the pot and was able to duplicate it with the appropriate resistor, the rest of the colors pretty much fell into place after the ever-picky purple. Unfortunately i wasn't able to get any wiring pictures during construction as i was more concerned with keeping the secret up, but anyways, here are the pictures i was able to get during my brief photo shoot with it, one more time.

Antikva Specs: NB v2, Luxeon Tri-Rebel RGrB, 20mm speaker, Red Momentary Switch, Rotary Switch for Manual Color Selection

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by Cire Yeldarb; 09-24-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

These are non-saber creations made using TCSS parts and saber-building skills!

For Halloween, I dressed as Anubis, the Egyptian god of death. I made a wireframe jackal head to wear as a hat over my black skinsuit, and in order to create a more menacing effect, I wanted to make the eyes glow.

I found at my local Goodwill a Battle Droid-esque silly string Blaster and decided to buy it to convert to light and sound since it is mostly hollow. I did some research and decided to use Erv's BlasterCore soundboard as it has some pretty great features, and is designed specifically for use in a firearm-form factor prop (I realized halfway through my build that Erv had actually done a conversion with the same type of Blaster previously). I sourced most of the other parts from TCSS except for the 5 and 3mm LEDs, a couple switches, and my laser module (from the beginning I had wanted to include a laser sight on this conversion, as I like the one on my personal firearm so much, and thought it would go well with this blaster in particular). So without further ado, here are some pictures! (Be warned, I used a lot more hot glue than needed to hold things on the inside in place, but I wanted to make sure nothing would move at all)

http://s392.photobucket.com/user/yod...85153.mp4.html

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by Cire Yeldarb; 09-24-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Re-added Pictures

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

And Finally, here are sabers made by my friends, with my guidance...

As a gift to my groomsmen for my wedding (thankfully there were just 3 lol), I bought them all the parts necessary to build lightsabers of their own design. Once we had everything in-hand we held a number of saber construction get-togethers, where I walked them through the process of wiring everything up, drilling all the holes, and putting it all together. They all got a NanoBiscotte soundboard (and all the standard electronics needed to go with that choice) to keep things simple and easy to follow along together. For their blades, they chose Green, Blue, and Purple respectively. Here are their final products:

Best Man:

Groomsman:

Groomslady:

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by Cire Yeldarb; 09-24-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Those are certainly unique. I don't see many sabers that are a hybrid of MHS and hardware parts like that first one.

Keep on building, and keep trying new things.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Nice! Keep up the good work! Man, that last one is pretty durn cool
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

There we go, my whip-pictures were not showing up before, but now they should be...

and thank you guys!