Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: simplified blue saber parts list

The tenergy won't work (and is out of stock anyways) why not just buy the Panasonic protected battery? It's a little more money, but a better option than the trustfire 2 pack.

Otherwise you 'can' use the MWS packs but you need the smart charger and one spare jst connection to wire onto the charger to plug the battery into. This option will take up less room in your saber, but the charger will cost a little more. I would strongly suggest against trying to come up with a way to use the single cell charger with the MWS pack.

I would get it, but it doesn't say that it's rechargeable.

Would you recommend this one.. Li-Ion 18500 Cylindrical 3.7V 1400mAh Rechargeable Battery

Or this one.. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li...tery-P761.aspx

I'm not really looking to wiring up a jst connected battery AND buy the smart charger, as well as a plug. :/
    Last edited by darkeyedkid; 07-30-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyedkid View Post
    I would get it, but it doesn't say that it's rechargeable.

All the li-ion batteries in the store are rechargeable.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Iseewhatyoudidthere. ¬_¬

But given that others specifically say "rechargeable" in the specs, it might (just might) be logical to conclude that the others may be non-rechargeable. :P

On another note I understand that you guys have been doing this stuff for a while and need to listen to people far less versed in the hobby over and over again. And it may get quite annoying having to explain the same basics to people over and over again. Take it from a psychologist in training, that annoyance can build up to the point where one might behave as if said newbies are, in a way, one big newbie and have to have things explained to this newbie over and over again, and that this big newbie should just know certain things by now. However, that's not the case. You have all been very helpful and I thank you for that. But I have tried to be as respectful as possible while at the same time being periodically patronized in some way or another by some. I'm sure other people would appreciate it if the same respect was given as was received.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    All the li-ion batteries in the store are rechargeable.

Thank you SS.

While your comments about newbies are understandable (we've all started out at that point), many of your questions have been answered in the past. Several of your answers can be found in the stickied posts at the tops of the various forum sections. I know it's a LOT of information to take in. I've personally read about 95% of the threads posted since I joined, not to mention a ton of them prior to my joining.

While I certainly wouldn't expect new members to read nearly as much as I have before asking questions, sometimes using the search function or even Google first would go a long way towards better relations. Some days I spoon-feed more than others. Some days I just feel especially snarky, and try to refrain from making posts. Others may be less kind.

A simple saber CAN be made by following the stickied posts in this section: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ene-Start-Here With a little reading of the manuals, you can also build a nicer saber with sound. Adding bling, blinking lights, crystal chambers, disco balls, remote control car starters, etc, are not generally recommended for the beginner. Depending on what skills you brought with you to this hobby, your mileage may vary.

We're all volunteers on these forums. We're human, we get frustrated. Most of us are polite most of the time. Stick around a while, learn what you can, and build a few sabers. Once you've done that a few times, you may find yourself answering more questions than you are asking. That's what happened to me.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Well you've been great silver. But I appreciate everything you said. I think my problem was/is I wasn't sure what exact kind of saber I really wanted to make. It seemed like there was always something missing from the info I had read before and I just wanted to make sure I could combine these two or those two ideas. It seems a lot of foul ups I've seen in life have been due to lack of communication. So I just like to be sure by talking to a person and making absolutely sure, especially when some $$ is being spent. But everyone has been quite helpful.

Iseewhatyoudidthere. ¬_¬

But given that others specifically say "rechargeable" in the specs, it might (just might) be logical to conclude that the others may be non-rechargeable. :P

On another note I understand that you guys have been doing this stuff for a while and need to listen to people far less versed in the hobby over and over again. And it may get quite annoying having to explain the same basics to people over and over again. Take it from a psychologist in training, that annoyance can build up to the point where one might behave as if said newbies are, in a way, one big newbie and have to have things explained to this newbie over and over again, and that this big newbie should just know certain things by now. However, that's not the case. You have all been very helpful and I thank you for that. But I have tried to be as respectful as possible while at the same time being periodically patronized in some way or another by some. I'm sure other people would appreciate it if the same respect was given as was received.
    I apologize if you have taken any of my comments as patronizing. Like SS said, this saber building stuff has been going on for the better part of a decade. You are not the first "noob" to the hobby, and won't be the last. Im still new to this myself, but rather than asking for the answers every step of the way, I have taken the time to take what I already knew going into this hobby, and to spend my time reading what others have done, searching for some answers I had questions about, and so on. You are continually asking advice, being told what you need to do, then turn around and do the opposite or just don't listen and go do what you want. We know exactly what you want out of your saber, the problem is that what you want, you are not willing to spend the money to put together properly. You said you had bought one of those el-cheapo ripoff's on ebay? How much did that saber cost you? Likely, it was upwards of the cost of a quality soundcard like the Petit Crouton, or heck, even a used Crystal Focus board. Both of those soundboards could easily handle a two die led setup, include a buncha fancy extra features you dont really need (until you have them and realize how great they are). The price difference in parts beyond your soundboard is minimal going from a MR to a high quality board, and you get what you were looking to have. The way I see it, you just want to spend as little as absolutely possible, and end up with a saber in hand. I don't think anyone even asked once, with Blade Holder 20, do you plan to also order up the odd $30+ in extras to finish that piece off properly? It should have a nice graflex button screw, glass fisheye lens, brass socket pins, thumbscrew, etc... Its honestly nothing to do with "putting up with another noob", its the frustration others start to feel after spending days trying to help you, and realizing that little or no progress has been made. I would not have suggested the panasonic battery if I did not believe it was appropriate for your needs, and honestly, who would spend that much money on a non-rechargeable battery? Had the advice of others been followed, and corners not been attempted to be cut this entire time, you would have already had an order placed into the store, and your parts would be on their way to you already.

Right now, from the latest "list" you had up, can I make you a suggestion? Seeing as how you are back-stepping from the tri-rebel to a single die led, and insist on a MR soundboard, and with the use of BH20 on your build, perhaps just doing a basic MR conversion would be a more appealing option? Find a nice Anakin ROTS or Luke ANH Master Replica or Hasbro Force FX saber hilt with working electronics, maybe one with a shattered blade or damaged led string. Pick that up for a reasonable price, and then snag the blue led, 8 degree lens, lens holder, thermal pad, conversion kit, brass pins, some wire and a blade. The conversions are pretty easy to do on the graflex style hilts, and your going to get the same kind of brightness from it as you would on your custom saber, since you would be using the same kind of soundboard and LED anyways.

We all want to see you succeed and build a saber to showoff to the community, if we didn't, no one would be trying to help you out.

I think my problem was/is I wasn't sure what exact kind of saber I really wanted to make.
    I would agree with this assessment. It's hard to help you out when you aren't sure of what you want, or worse, it keeps changing. I'm happy that you're on the right track now.

Worry not, I'll be thinking of you this weekend at the Jedi retreat, especially when I am dusting off my saber combat skills.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com