Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: simplified blue saber parts list

Quote Originally Posted by GFJedi View Post
    I apologize if you have taken any of my comments as patronizing. Like SS said, this saber building stuff has been going on for the better part of a decade. You are not the first "noob" to the hobby, and won't be the last. Im still new to this myself, but rather than asking for the answers every step of the way, I have taken the time to take what I already knew going into this hobby, and to spend my time reading what others have done, searching for some answers I had questions about, and so on. You are continually asking advice, being told what you need to do, then turn around and do the opposite or just don't listen and go do what you want. We know exactly what you want out of your saber, the problem is that what you want, you are not willing to spend the money to put together properly. You said you had bought one of those el-cheapo ripoff's on ebay? How much did that saber cost you? Likely, it was upwards of the cost of a quality soundcard like the Petit Crouton, or heck, even a used Crystal Focus board. Both of those soundboards could easily handle a two die led setup, include a buncha fancy extra features you dont really need (until you have them and realize how great they are). The price difference in parts beyond your soundboard is minimal going from a MR to a high quality board, and you get what you were looking to have. The way I see it, you just want to spend as little as absolutely possible, and end up with a saber in hand. I don't think anyone even asked once, with Blade Holder 20, do you plan to also order up the odd $30+ in extras to finish that piece off properly? It should have a nice graflex button screw, glass fisheye lens, brass socket pins, thumbscrew, etc... Its honestly nothing to do with "putting up with another noob", its the frustration others start to feel after spending days trying to help you, and realizing that little or no progress has been made. I would not have suggested the panasonic battery if I did not believe it was appropriate for your needs, and honestly, who would spend that much money on a non-rechargeable battery? Had the advice of others been followed, and corners not been attempted to be cut this entire time, you would have already had an order placed into the store, and your parts would be on their way to you already.

Right now, from the latest "list" you had up, can I make you a suggestion? Seeing as how you are back-stepping from the tri-rebel to a single die led, and insist on a MR soundboard, and with the use of BH20 on your build, perhaps just doing a basic MR conversion would be a more appealing option? Find a nice Anakin ROTS or Luke ANH Master Replica or Hasbro Force FX saber hilt with working electronics, maybe one with a shattered blade or damaged led string. Pick that up for a reasonable price, and then snag the blue led, 8 degree lens, lens holder, thermal pad, conversion kit, brass pins, some wire and a blade. The conversions are pretty easy to do on the graflex style hilts, and your going to get the same kind of brightness from it as you would on your custom saber, since you would be using the same kind of soundboard and LED anyways.

We all want to see you succeed and build a saber to showoff to the community, if we didn't, no one would be trying to help you out.
    I appreciate you saying that GF. I guess my indecision hasn't been the easiest to deal with. Like I said, I wasn't really sure what saber I really wanted or how to truly combine this or that idea. x) And I do prefer talking with people more directly I suppose. Since you say people may feel frustrated that little or no progress has been made, I'd like to say I disagree that little or no progress has been made. I'm sorry you feel that I've not been listening or have been doing the opposite. But I've really been trying my best to listen. And perhaps what has been interpreted as doing the opposite is me just trying to explore all options in a new hobby that I know next to nothing about, and getting as many opinions and experiences as I can. But you're right about me not wanting to spend too much. ;D That's part of what I've wanted in a saber the whole time too.

While it may not feel like it to those people who've been helping, you all have taught me a lot in just the past week and have really been helping me all along to decide on what kind of saber I really want to invest in and have been giving me what I needed the entire time. I think maybe that's what I've been trying to figure out in part the whole time, and asking the technical questions seemed better than just asking, 'hey folks, what kind of saber do I want?' And you're totally right about the el-cheapo saber from ebay. It was $60. xD

All you guys have been very helpful in giving me a crash course into the saber-building scene. You, SS, fjk, and others have really helped me single out a realistic, affordable build that I'll be happy with.

And I like that suggestion very much. I will definitely look into that first. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    Worry not, I'll be thinking of you this weekend at the Jedi retreat, especially when I am dusting off my saber combat skills.

Oohhh I seewhatyoudidthar fjk! >.>
    I may be there too with my cheapie ebay saber. *sneaks up behind**clicks saber on**womp!**runs away* ;D

Definite last list. Just so I have it.

-LED "TCSS style" Show blade 1" OD (32 inches)
    -Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module Luxeon Rebel Star (Blue)
    -Panasonic Protected 18650 3.7V 3400mAh + holder (this one.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171028558464...84.m1438.l2649 )
    -1-1/2" x 12" Chrome sink tube
    -Screw on LED blade holder style 20
    -MHS to 1.5" sink tube adapter
    -1-3/8" Chrome end cap
    -MR soundboard (from ebay)
    -Premium Speaker
    -16mm Anti Vandal Latching Red Ring Switch
    -20mA DynaOhm™ Variable Resistor
    -wire (red & black) + heatshrink
    -Bezel for illuminated switches
    -8-32 x .3" Gold thumb screw

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyedkid View Post
    Oohhh I seewhatyoudidthar fjk! >.>
    I may be there too with my cheapie ebay saber. *sneaks up behind**clicks saber on**womp!**runs away* ;D
    Not even close... You don't know where on the planet the meeting is, and I doubt you'd get past the Sith floating around. And even if you did, there will be several Jedi Masters to deal with, and though my name will be on my shirt, I'll see you long before you figure out who I am. And unlike General Grievous, I don't collect sabers off my "former opponents", unless they are REALLY nice ones.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    Not even close... You don't know where on the planet the meeting is, and I doubt you'd get past the Sith floating around. And even if you did, there will be several Jedi Masters to deal with, and though my name will be on my shirt, I'll see you long before you figure out who I am. And unlike General Grievous, I don't collect sabers off my "former opponents", unless they are REALLY nice ones.
    I already bonked ya. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyedkid View Post
    Definite last list. Just so I have it.

-LED "TCSS style" Show blade 1" OD (32 inches)
    -Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module Luxeon Rebel Star (Blue)
    -Panasonic Protected 18650 3.7V 3400mAh + holder (this one.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171028558464...84.m1438.l2649 )
    -1-1/2" x 12" Chrome sink tube
    -Screw on LED blade holder style 20
    -MHS to 1.5" sink tube adapter
    -1-3/8" Chrome end cap
    -MR soundboard (from ebay)
    -Premium Speaker
    -16mm Anti Vandal Latching Red Ring Switch
    -20mA DynaOhm™ Variable Resistor
    -wire (red & black) + heatshrink
    -Bezel for illuminated switches
    -8-32 x .3" Gold thumb screw

This list looks like a good basic build to begin with. You can always 'fancy it up' later by adding the graflex-button looking screw and/or glass eye and/or pins to the BH20, add another MHS to 1.5 adapter for MHS pommel with insert, covertec wheel or d-ring for belt carry or t-track or other grip material etc. if/when you want to but this build can be a good start in this hobby as long as you drill some holes somewhere [and it doesn't have to be in the chrome endcap, depending on how you mount the speaker] to let the sound out but then you already knew that I'm sure. Please post pics and/or vid when you finish your build cuz we love to see those, and Good Luck, MTFBWY.

Nothing strikes me as missing. You may need to do a little sanding on the AV Bezel, since it's sized for MHS parts. Other than that, good luck with your build!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!