Thread: Question: Wiring Anti vandal Momentary Switch with LED to the accent LED pads

Default Question: Wiring Anti vandal Momentary Switch with LED to the accent LED pads

Hello, Guys.

I am new to saber building, and have only been a member of the forums for a few weeks.
    Firstly, want to say thank you to all the members who generously share the knowledge and expertise so that people like me may learn a little something.
    As instructed I have spent the last few weeks just reading the boards and trying to get familiar with the terminology and technology. The guidance on the forums has been a tremendous help.
    I have a long way to go, but what looked like a foreign language at first, seems to be getting a little clearer.. I think. Maybe I should ask my question first.

I decided to start with something more suited for a beginner. So I purchased the Petit Crouton 2.0 pre wired.
    As you know this unit has the Activation switch and Aux. switch pre wired with JST connectors.. as well as the accent LED pads(pre wired/JST connectors)

I will be using a Dual momentary switch setup(as pictured) with LED accent ring. I want to wire the LED terminals(+/-) on the Momentary switch using a JST connector and then plug that into the JST that's pre-wired in the LED accent pads(on the PC2.0).

The forward voltage for the boards is 3.3v .. The Momentary switch is 2.0v and 20 ohms. According to the calculator I need a resistor that is 68 ohms 1/8w. to solder inline on the positive side of the LED wiring(correct?)
    From the store I purchased 2 x 20mA DynaOhm™ Variable Resistors .. and also 2 x 82 ohm 1/4w resistors. Which would be best to use?

I have included a few pictures in an effort to illustrate what I have in mind. I know that I will need to wire each switch, but for clarity the diagram just shows one.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, corrections or alternate direction if you know of a more efficient way.

Thank you again.

momentary switch wiring.jpgSaber diagram.jpg

Either the DynaOhm or the resistors you have picked out will work just fine. They'll be a little bit dimmer using the 82 ohm resistors, but I've found the LEDs in the AV switches to be a little bright for my taste. I tend to run them a little underpowered myself.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

First, Welcome to the Forums.

To answer your question... yes, the resistors typically go on the positive side of the wiring. You could use the 82 Ohm 1/4 W resistors, it won't hurt anything, and they are smaller.

Now my question for you is... Do you want the main switch to light up BEFORE you turn the saber on? If so, you would wire the LED to the 3.3V pad instead of the Accent 1 pad. If not, then you are fine with what you have.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The 82ohms resistors will underdrive your accent leds by about 10%, so they should still light up, just may not be as bright as if driven by the 68 ohms resistor you need to run them at the rated 2.0v. The DynaOhm is just a little pricier and takes up a bit more room, but takes the guesswork out, and will work as well.

Thank you gentlemen. Very much appreciated.

Okay guys I have wired the Momentary switch and the ring lights up and flashes.

I have another question concerning the operation of the PC2.0 and the momentary switch. As seen in the video I am using a standard battery box connection(no charger port has been added yet) to power up and test the components as I wire them.
    I thought that the card would power up Only when I pushed the activation button, instead it powers up as soon as I click the battery into place. Also, when I push and hold the momentary switch to power off the PC2.0 ..it simply powers back on when I release my finger from the button. Please watch the short video and let me know where I've went wrong.

Thank you
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DEFC...b0e26.mp4.html
    Last edited by Defcon4; 07-29-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon4 View Post
    Okay guys I have wired the Momentary switch and the ring lights up and flashes.

I have another question concerning the operation of the PC2.0 and the momentary switch. As seen in the video I am using a standard battery box connection(no charger port has been added yet) to power up and test the components as I wire them.
    I thought that the card would power up Only when I pushed the activation button, instead it powers up as soon as I click the battery into place. Also, when I push and hold the momentary switch to power off the PC2.0 ..it simply powers back on when I release my finger from the button. Please watch the short video and let me know where I've went wrong.

Thank you
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DEFC...b0e26.mp4.html
    Offhand, I would say that you don't have the switch parameter set properly. It needs to be set to momentary (which is 2 IIRC). The board would power up automatically without a recharge port of some type. though it shouldn't turn on, unless you have the switch parameter set incorrectly.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Than you, jedi knight .. I appreciate the quick response and you giving me a direction to go in. I'll grab my PC manual and comb through it again.

Def

Okay, jedi

Just a follow-up. and a thank you. That did the trick. Incase anyone else encounters the same issue I will describe the step that I took.

I read back through my PC2.0 manual and found on page 14 the steps needed to change the parameters for the momentary switch (as jedi knight suggested)
    • Remove your micro sd card from the Petit crouton and put it into an SD adapter. In my case I used the one that was shipped with my PC 2.0.
    • Insert the card into your computer card reader ..or a usb adapter. Whichever means that you use to access the card with your computer.
    • Open/access the card. You will see sound files as well 2 text files. Config and leds. Open the Config file in word pad.
    • The third category down the list is switch=0 ...I changed that to switch=2 . This corrected both the PC 2.0 powering on automatically .. and also allowed me to push the activation button to turn it off.

One additional note. When first trying to change the file parameter I got a prompt saying that the files were Write protected and I was not allowed to change the files. I did a little more reading on the boards
    and discovered where someone suggested checking the locking tab on the sd card adapter. I slid the tab from the lock position to 'unlocked' and then put it back into the computer. I followed the steps above.

I change the parameter to switch=2 and then closed out word pad. I was prompted to save the changes? I clicked YES, the file saved changes and closed. I did not get any write protection warnings. Not sure how or why that works.

Glad it is working for you.

The "Write protect" feature was something from way back when using 5 1/4" floppy disks. The feature was to prevent accidental formatting or overwriting of important data. You would be surprised how many times I heard, I accidentally reformatted x and forgot to back up y first. Or I overwrote x with y and forgot to back up x first.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines