Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunriders Green SSR90 saber with laser chamber

Default Sunriders Green SSR90 saber with laser chamber

Today I present... Well it doesnt have a name but it has a few interesting features to point out. Some have seen the Praxis saber I built a year or two ago. This one is a sister saber regarding the hilt style. There are a few differences but they are pretty similar. The electronics have been completely redone in this saber vs the first Praxis build (it is being upgraded like this one). I was not satisfied the limited effects that I could do with that setup. When the Igniter board came around I found I could precisely control a blade, and a crystal chamber, or whatever, via a direct PWM signal. So I created some components to make the idea a reality. What we get from this is complete control and all effects for the blade and crystal chamber. Both are driven by constant current drivers with full PWM control. The blade can be run at 4 or 6.5 amps via a switch, or you can adjust the drive level on the Igniter board. The green laser crystal chamber was tricky to work with because the vf is 1v. It is fully controllable and modulates with the blade.

Finally all parts of this saber design function well. If you cant tell, this design is fairly complicated but after some persistence it is sound and solid.

Specs
    25W SSR90 with full effects via PWM control
    Igniter R4 sound board with stock fonts and mine too!
    Rugged MHS chassis and solid construction.
    Fan air cooling. Fan runs in idle and on modes.
    PWM modulated interior accent leds
    PWM controlled green laser crystal chamber
    Reveal Brass 3 quartz crystal chamber all grebleed up
    4 or 6.5 amp blade levels from easy switch
    Crazy loud back and forth dynamic 2 speaker audio from 34mm and a 23mm bass type speakers
    All momentary micro switches controlling quality solid state high power switch boards
    1.3mm recharge port
    2 x 18650 7.4v protected pack with NCR18650a high current batteries for 45 minutes run time at full power
    8 led bar graph controlled by the Igniter board
    Custom brass rings, switch buttons, and control knobs
    Brass loop for hanging

Video

http://youtu.be/IK6gscP76PY

Full Powah outside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsD75lsfdIY

Pics

I hope you like it.
    Last edited by Sunrider; 04-25-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Really, really cool stuff.

I'm in the middle of my first build, it has a few similarities as yours. Needless to say it's a bit ambitious for a first build, but I have some pretty good electronics / fabrication experience already. However mine is going to look nowhere near as good as this! In my case, function is definitely driving form. However you seem to make no sacrifices here as your hilts always look excellent (and reasonably sized - mine is huge to fit all the stuff I have in it).

So you are running four 18650 NCRs? Or 2? can't tell based on your write up, though if you are drawing 6A plus Igniter (what... another 500mA?)... that would be amazing for 45 minutes on just two batteries. If so that is reassuring because mine is also a current hog.

I'm actually running the NCR B version, which is at least nominally rated for a few more mAh than the A version.

In any case, nice work!
    "Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well."

Just as impressive as Praxis. Maybe a little more so.

One thing: I'm wondering where you got a blank quartz d12 for the crystal chamber. It looks fantastic in there.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Really, really cool stuff.

I'm in the middle of my first build, it has a few similarities as yours. Needless to say it's a bit ambitious for a first build, but I have some pretty good electronics / fabrication experience already. However mine is going to look nowhere near as good as this! In my case, function is definitely driving form. However you seem to make no sacrifices here as your hilts always look excellent (and reasonably sized - mine is huge to fit all the stuff I have in it).

So you are running four 18650 NCRs? Or 2? can't tell based on your write up, though if you are drawing 6A plus Igniter (what... another 500mA?)... that would be amazing for 45 minutes on just two batteries. If so that is reassuring because mine is also a current hog.

I'm actually running the NCR B version, which is at least nominally rated for a few more mAh than the A version.

In any case, nice work!
    Thanks. There are only 2 18650s . The load sometimes sounds like more than it really is. The SSR90 draws 6 amps but at 3.6v. The laser draws 300ma but at 1v

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Just as impressive as Praxis. Maybe a little more so.

One thing: I'm wondering where you got a blank quartz d12 for the crystal chamber. It looks fantastic in there.
    Thank you sir. That is a nice D12. I got a few from healingcrystals.com they come and go though.

amazing!!!

Another awesome saber Sunrider! That crystal chamber has to be one of the coolest i've ever seen!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

That is as nice as Praxis and interesting adds to the chamber. Now you need to make a trifecta with a red blade .

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Thanks guys. One with a red blade would need some sithy weathering. I need to learn more about metal finishing and unfinishing for that. If only a brighter deep red was possible. To get to 650nm laser diodes is the only thing that comes to mind.

I have to agree with the others: very reminiscent of Praxis, yet its own hilt. I like that.

WOOT!! This is AWSOM!! Chamber with laser it looks very powerful saber!!
    Great works!!!