Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brightest led you can get on here?? Voltage??

Default Brightest led you can get on here?? Voltage??

Straightforward question
    What's really the brightest blue led that can be purchase from TCSS? I'm guessing a top one is the tri rebel BBW. What's the voltage of the tri rebel and/or the brightest one on here?

Straightforward answer: it depends.

Sorry, it's not quite that simple. It depends on a number of factors, such as blade length, optics, overdriving, etc. The Tri-Rebel BBW is a very good option for brightness. Even a single blue Rebel die is very bright, and you get a pair of those on the BBW. The LEDEngins are very bright as well, with 4 LED dice available. They're harder to solder, and far more power hungry than the Rebels.

You can get the specs on the Tri-Rebel individual dice from the single Rebel page. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Lu...Star-P523.aspx
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

SS is right. I know you seem to be set on "the brightest", but it depends on several factors as SS and I have told you before. MY suggestion to you is to start saving your money now, and whilst you do that, read, read and read some more. By the time you have enough money saved up to do a hilt (without skimping), you may have accumulated enough knowledge to have a good idea of what is takes to build a good, pretty bright saber.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks for that SS and fjk. haha, I'm definitely set on the brightness factor. I actually had already purchased a saber from an ebay seller. As you can probably guess, it left something to be desired. He did an okay job, but for $60 I suppose I both was and shouldn't have expected more. *shrugs*. I've got the $$. I'm just a money saver. I heard I can overdrive the Lux tri-rebel BBW to 2 amps, but I don't know what resistor I'd need for that.

If you aren' in a terrible hurry, might I suggest you try to see some sabers in person. No matter how good the pic is on the web its not that same as real life. Look for a convention or get to gether near you. Ask the people what they have I'm sure they' love to talk about their sabers.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyedkid View Post
    I'm definitely set on the brightness factor.
    I was the same way with my first saber. Had a GGW Tri-rebel running two greens in series at 1000ma...had to admit I was impressed. Could not look at the bottom 1/4 of the blade. It was a little painful, but very bright. Have since swapped it out into another saber just running the white and replaces it with a WWW Tri-rebel. Also crazy bright. I would imagine the BBW would be equally awesome. I can post pictures if you'd like, compared to a blue MR Obi saber.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

I think it's safe to say you will be happy with the BBW, friend. Take a chance.

You must know how you are going to setup said dies too. For example, If you take a 10w ledengin and drive all four dice to the max you will have a heat issue to deal with.

Thanks you guys. I think I'm going to stay away from the 10w and go with the tri-rebel bbw. Cheaper, easier to deal with, and I trust I'll be happy with the brightness. I want to connect all the dies so they'll all be turned on with one switch. I've recompiled my list too btw.
    Last edited by darkeyedkid; 07-25-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyedkid View Post
    Thanks you guys. I think I'm going to stay away from the 10w and go with the tri-rebel bbw. Cheaper, easier to deal with, and I trust I'll be happy with the brightness. I want to connect all the dies so they'll all be turned on with one switch. I've recompiled my list too btw.
    Good choice.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com