Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star Blue vs. Royal blue??

Default Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star Blue vs. Royal blue??

What's really the difference? More importantly, is one brighter?

Royal blue is a more saturated ['deeper'] hue of blue but with regards to the LEDs we use because a royal blue LED's dominant wavelength is closer to the ultraviolet end of the visible light spectrum it is noticeably 'dimmer' to most peoples eyes [why it uses a different rating than lumens] than normal blue LEDs with a dominant wavelength closer to the cyan and green colours of the spectrum non-colour-blind human vision normally perceives as 'brighter'. If brightness is of utmost concern to you a normal blue tri-rebel will likely be significantly brighter than the royal blue tri-rebel but a 'lighter shade' of blue whereas the royal blue will be less bright but 'bluer'. It's a matter of personal preference really.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 07-24-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks for that. I'm goin' with the blue.

royal blue really pops on video or photo and gives a great halo effect on the blade. it would be my choice
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    royal blue really pops on video or photo and gives a great halo effect on the blade. it would be my choice
    I personally prefer the royal's hue and saturation myself and in my years in this hobby I've tried the brightest-then-available royal blue Luxeons from the K2 to LuxV to Tri-rebel to Quad-rebel so can say that the royal blue really NEEDS a multi-die LED assembly to compensate for its per-emitter relative lack of apparent brightness. I wouldnt recommend it for anyone's first saber because I many people new to the hobby are looking for brightness above all and could be disappointed. Once one gets enough into the hobby to learn the 'tricks' of making the royal blue work well though it can be a rewarding option for those who like the richness of colour and can accept it isn't going to be 'the brightest'.

its not the best picture out there but this is a royal blue rebel single die. i still love the effect on film http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...1&d=1331896631
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

I haven't used a blue, but have used a royal blue. The one I got was put into a converted Anakin Episode 3 saber. That LED was blinding! I would say the royal blue is very movie accurate as well and would recommend it over just the blue. It was bright enough to light up an entire large room without a problem. I remember firing it up in the dark and realizing that it was a bit painful to look at.
    Honey, you've been looking for love in Alderaan places!

Here's a video of the royal blue. It looks a bit brighter in the video, but that was recorded in a room with lots of sunlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szJ6D0uvqJk

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpancreas View Post
    Here's a video of the royal blue. It looks a bit brighter in the video, but that was recorded in a room with lots of sunlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szJ6D0uvqJk
    Very nice. Do you know what kind of led it is? Single rebel star? seoul p4? Anything you can tell me about the innards of that saber on the right would be great.

I put a Rebel Star Royal blue (single die) in that one. That saber was literally a brand new Hasbro saber that I had converted, so the innards are standard on it.