Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue9607's Satele Saber (Version 2)

Default Rogue9607's Satele Saber (Version 2)

Holly was a fun first project, and now with a bit more experience, and a few new tools, I have the opportunity to revisit the design and do a more accurate version of Satele's saber. I'm tweaking the construction a bit as well as updating to accurate artwork. The first piece of my metal order arrived yesterday, and I was able to get a bit of work in this evening.

I cut a piece of the plate off for the fin template.

And managed to get one pair of fins cut and generally sanded. This was the first time using this small belt sander, and what an incredible addition to my shop!

Hopefully I'll be able to knock out a few more fins tomorrow since this should be ready for Dragon*con at the end of August.

I had a couple of more hours in the shop this evening and made more fin progress. All the fin pieces are now cut and sanded to the right shape. I've generally smoothed the edges on two of the pairs.

I may turn to some of the etch testing soon since there's only so far I can go with the flat stock, and the rest of my metal order hasn't shipped.

Oooh! *drools*
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

making a perfect saber even better...that's what I call enthusiasm!

can't wait to see more of it

This shall be fun to follow!

Last night was a bit of a short night in the garage with continued sanding and filing... The fins really feel like the most tedious part of the build.

1. Pre-etch, 2. Immediately post-etch, 3. After buffing (low angle), 4. After buffing (high angle)
    Last edited by rogue9607; 03-25-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Got a bit of time to work on this today and feel good about the progress even if it doesn't look like much. I feel like I spent more time with setup and working with the tools than actually working on the saber, but I'm sure that time will decrease as I get more familiar.

Started out by printing a full scale version of the emitter and cutting the aluminum to length.

I didn't take a picture, but I bored out the one end where I'll mount the speaker and I have a nice snug fit.

I turned two of the ridges turned down to the proper diameter, and removed a lot of the material around the neck in the process.

It seems I need to order a longer boring bar so that I can get the blade holder sized appropriately. Hopefully I'll be able to at least finish this emitter tomorrow except for the sizing of the blade holder.

First piece is off the lathe! I still need to do some cleanup and cut the sound holes.

The speaker fits in the interior side. I'll cut a channel for the LED wires to run around the speaker.

Nice work! and keep us posted. I love in progress build logs. It makes me feel like I'm working along with you on the project.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!

I finished turning the second emitter tonight. Unfortunately, one of the levers in my lathe's quick change gearbox froze up and I still haven't gotten it working properly. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get that squared away before moving on to the center section of the hilt.