Thread: Flying Fox Checking In

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flying Fox Checking In

How's it going everyone?
    This is my first post for my first saber. I came across this site last year while I was deployed and I've been reading ever since but I finally took the plunge and signed up the other day. So here's the deal, I'm building this first saber as a test saber. I'm in the military and I'm getting married. One of the old traditions is a saber arch that the newlyweds walk through after the ceremony, well the place I'm getting married won't allow me to bring my actual saber with me. I joked with my fiance that we could do a Lightsaber arch instead; she gave me that "Are you serious" look (the one I'm sure we've all gotten at some point in our lives). That didn't stop me and I kept rolling the idea around in my head when I decided that there is no better groomsmen gift then a custom lightsaber. At first I thought of ordering some pre-made ones but that's no fun; why not see if I could build my own and personalize each one to my buddies.
    This first one is pretty basic but I'd appreciate all the help you can offer. I'm really looking forward to this new hobby and joining this community.

Here's my parts list: (Let me know if I've royally screwed anything up)
    -Hilt 2 w/ guarded switch hole
    -Choke 3
    -Blade Holder 17 w/ heat sink 2, thumb retention screw 8-32
    -Pommel 8, w/ C Clip and insert #4
    -4xAA Battery Holder
    -Lux Rebel Cyan, some thermal tape, 8.7 lens and holder
    -36" TCSS 1" Battle Blade
    -SPST Guarded Latching Switch w/ silver button
    -2.2ohm 5W resistor
    -24 gauge wire and some heat shrink
    -The tools- 8-32 drill/tap, the tap handle, a little bit of grease
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks for reading and for the help I'm sure you can offer.
    Flying Fox

I don't see anything missing from that setup.

The lightsaber arch is a cool idea. I've only seen it done a couple of times before. My wife vetoed it as well, or I'd have done it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Welcome! I have a buddy who got married while he was still active (a loaded statement in itself) and did the traditional saber arch, and he would have done it with lightsabers if we'd have known about it at the time...

Your parts list looks fine to me, but the one thing you may wish to do is to ask Tim for some custom work on a double female 7" extension, to match the design of the hilt 2 but to align the switch hole with the high point on that blade holder. Also, you could have Tim drill and tap the blade screw to keep things aligned. You could also add some o-rings to go over the slots - adds a little grip, texture and color without getting into painting or power coating costs. You'll want to think about stabilizing that battery holder in the hilt, but with a little glue and some plastic washers you can create a base that will set in behind the pommel; or switch to the 4AAA battery and get a speaker holder v2, which is designed to have that battery holder attached to it and similarly is held in place.

Enjoy, and if you go the full arch route post up a picture!

Welcome to the forums!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Welcome to the forums! Can't wait to see all the groomsmen sabers, great idea.

Thanks Guys. I'll get some pics up once I get my first saber assembled. I figure I can try some stuff out on it like etching and shrouds before I dive into the "Guardian Series" for my groomsmen. I'm going to have to put the next few months to good use.