Thread: dead mans switch configuration.

Default dead mans switch configuration.

I want to make a light saber that the activation switch is a dead mans switch which will be part of the grip. How hard would it be and has anyone tried?

Just use a momentary switch.

Wire it so that switch closed = on. Place the switch on the grip so that it closes the way you want and the saber will be on while it is depressed and off when it is released.

You're not looking to duel much with this saber?
    _____________,.~-{o}-~.,____________

How about a recharge port wired to a n/c relay that controls the power to the saber? Pull the key to activate the relay, relay opens and cuts power. The kill key could be attached to a ring or bracelet so when the saber falls from your hand its easily popped out of the port.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCafe View Post
    You're not looking to duel much with this saber?
    actually i am. The reasoning is to have a strong grip on my weapon.

I think you'll find yourself surprised by how much your grip shifts during a duel. Depending on how you install the dead man's switch, the saber could cut off each time.

A capacitative touch switch, utilizing the entire outside of the hilt as a touch sensor, could do the job. You'd have to find a wiring diagram for that circuit on your own, as I've never seen one on these forums.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I would use a magnetic hall effect switch with a magnet in a glove or a wrist lanyard.

You might want to try to make a Snap-action style switch with a long lever. Only problem would be it might snag on things as you wear it unless you have a holster for it rather than a covertec.

Make a dowel hilt first having a simple touch switch and see how it works out for dueling before you sink alot of money into this project. Having done sword combat since I was 7 I can tell you your hands will not stay in the same spot for effective combat. So SS's idea of a conductive hilt would make more sense for your build.
    _____________,.~-{o}-~.,____________