Thread: Just starting out

Default Just starting out

Hello all,

Please forgive what I am sure will be a few noob style questions.

I have spent a fair bit of time reading up, but I have to confess I dont find the search engine particularly helpful, and I still have some blank spots in my understanding.

Im planning on putting together a sound equipped saber, but other than that it will be a simple design, no accent LED's etc.

Ive got some electronics experience and a cousin who can solder pretty much anything, so Im comfortable im setting myself a nice challenge, but not something unrealistic

My questions revolve around fitting and powering the board.

1. Batteries.

Im in the UK, so cant get the Li-ion battery packs shipped. Can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK I can get one from?

If not, is it possible to power a PC or NB board with one of the standard AA or AAA power packs?

2. PC or NB board.

Im not really set on having the Aux switch sounds you get with the PC.

From what I have read, some say there is no real difference to the standard PC and NB sounds, but some say they can hear it.

Is there a consensus on this?

3. PC board aux switch.

I understand that this is a momentary switch.

How does the board know what sound to make when the switch is depressed? (lock, blaster etc)?

4. Recharge port and speaker

My design will be quite long.

Is it possible to have the speaker recessed back into the hilt and have the recharge port coming out at the pommel?

If it is possible, is it desirable, or should the recharge port be placed in the side of the hilt?

If in the side, is there a service offered to drill that size of hole? I can't see one.

Thanks ever so much for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by ECWeagles View Post
    Hello all,

Please forgive what I am sure will be a few noob style questions.

I have spent a fair bit of time reading up, but I have to confess I dont find the search engine particularly helpful, and I still have some blank spots in my understanding.

Im planning on putting together a sound equipped saber, but other than that it will be a simple design, no accent LED's etc.

Ive got some electronics experience and a cousin who can solder pretty much anything, so Im comfortable im setting myself a nice challenge, but not something unrealistic

My questions revolve around fitting and powering the board.

1. Batteries.

Im in the UK, so cant get the Li-ion battery packs shipped. Can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK I can get one from?

If not, is it possible to power a PC or NB board with one of the standard AA or AAA power packs?

2. PC or NB board.

Im not really set on having the Aux switch sounds you get with the PC.

From what I have read, some say there is no real difference to the standard PC and NB sounds, but some say they can hear it.

Is there a consensus on this?

3. PC board aux switch.

I understand that this is a momentary switch.

How does the board know what sound to make when the switch is depressed? (lock, blaster etc)?

4. Recharge port and speaker

My design will be quite long.

Is it possible to have the speaker recessed back into the hilt and have the recharge port coming out at the pommel?

If it is possible, is it desirable, or should the recharge port be placed in the side of the hilt?

If in the side, is there a service offered to drill that size of hole? I can't see one.

Thanks ever so much for your help!
    1. I would have to look around for UK links, but I remember this being discussed not too long ago in a thread - so the links might be laying around somewhere. You could use AA packs to power a NB or a PC (4 cells) your run time probably will suffer a bit. Li-ions are preferred. You could use Google to help you search for these. Try this: http://www.pmbl.co.uk/lithium_ion.aspx

2. The fonts are the same, though the NB doesn't have all the functionality of the PC - the sound difference is probably minimal. I don't play with the NB's and only know what I have heard during their testing and use by others whose opinions I trust.

3. It depends on how long you hold the button down - short pushes = blasters; hold down for a while = lockup.

4. It is all up to you. I have put recharge ports (and other things) in a pommel, so it is certainly possible. You have to design it and decide what you want. If you want something in the body, you can just specify to Strydur (Tim - the owner) what you want and where, and use the recharge port hole service ($7.50) for the service fee.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 07-15-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com