Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hand Protection source/examples needed.

Lightbulb Hand Protection source/examples needed.

Hey Guys, I was hoping someone here might have an idea of where i could look for Star Wars based hand protection designs to emulate.

Every Wednesday night I open my armour shop up for anyone who wants to come make armour for SCA, Cosplay, or just Fun. Well a few weeks ago someone picked up one of my MHS stunt sabers and started swinging it around, one thing led to another and now we sortof all digress into lightsaber combat once darkness falls every Wednesday.

Now everyone has agreed that we need to get some hand protection working, since getting hit with these things can be fairly damaging. But I want to go for something "StarWars-y" rather than the medieval alternatives that abound. However I have had a hard time searching for Star Wars Gauntlets on google. Mostly i get completely wrong subject matter with a slight smattering of Mando "Bracers" and a few Anakin black gloves. Not really what i need.

What i want to know is if anyone has seen or remembers any full hand protection especially with finger/knuckle plates in any Star Wars media that I can reference. Hell I'd even take droid hands in a pinch, but I really want something passable as Jedi equipment even from other eras.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance. ooh, and I promise to post pics of the final product if this takes off.

Have you looked at motorcycle gloves?
    The above statements GREATLY depends on what battery solution as well as what sound card you plan on using to run your saber. Limitations will probably apply. Your mileage may vary. Any visual impairments are the sole responsibility of the saber builder/user. - Forgetful Jedi Knight

I have a pair of motorcycle gloves for myself.
    Problem is they don't look the part, they only protect your first joint and the rest of the glove is designed primarily to protect from abrasion not so much impact.
    And they are darn expensive for being so far from what we need.
    Also, one of my guys is a colossus. There are no commercially available products that I've found that fit his hands.

I searched for "sword sparring gloves" in Google and found a couple of images that looked interesting.
    Padded Swordsman Gloves

Kempo Practice Gloves
    The above statements GREATLY depends on what battery solution as well as what sound card you plan on using to run your saber. Limitations will probably apply. Your mileage may vary. Any visual impairments are the sole responsibility of the saber builder/user. - Forgetful Jedi Knight

I do recommend the Padded Swordsman's Gloves for light sparring and as a base for hard medieval gauntlets, but like i said, I have access to an entire professional armour shop.
    I'm not looking for a commercial product, I'm looking for references to actual star wars armour that I can replicate. That's why i posted in the Costuming Forum.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

As far as "in-universe" gloves are concerned, you are correct that most Stormtroopers, Clone Trooeprs, Mandalorians, etc all seem to just have just 1 plate on the back of the hand as far as "below the wrist protection" is concerned.

I did a quick run through of the items listed on the Glove and Gauntlet pages of Wookieepedia; of the Glove articles with pictures, I found the Shockboxing Gloves and the Mandalorian Crushgaunts that both seemed to have the required protection on the fingers. Also as you brought up, Droid Hands whould also fit this mold, more specifically the Protocol Droids' hands.

Of course the beauty of making your own armor from scratch would be that you could pull inspiration from basically anything and give it that "Star Wars feel" and there you have it! Anyway, hope that is kind of like that you were looking for!

I see, I completely misunderstood the request. Here are a few reference images that I can think of.

Naga Sadow

Exar Kun

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

A couple other idea's came to my mind, such as pulling inspiration from Anakin's Cybernetic Hand: AnakinArm.jpg

or General Grievous's Arms:
    Grievous_crouch.jpg75GeneralGrievousFinal.jpg (more reference pictures here)

oh yeah, there's good stuff.

I did find this,

and This is really getting somewhere. looks like fan art, but i love the finger plates.

Have you considered making gloves from EVA Foam? Provides a cushion and can be plasticoated and painted to look exactly how you want.