Thread: RICE Assisstance

Default RICE Assisstance

Hello all,

I have my first saber built with a CF 6.5 and color extender. Everything except the RICE port is working fine. I am using the type 1 (metal body) connector along with a recharge port (yes the ground is connected to board ground but I am not trying to use the port with the kill key installed so no ground loop present). I have installed the drivers from the product page twice without success (Win 7 64 bit). I am able to bring up the command window in the editor (ctrl + m) and view the requests being sent. I have entries such as "SeeSerial: random=2; SeeSerial: cfgrequest". When I inspect any of the entries the "p SerialMonitoring" node is outlined in red. I am assuming the correct settings for the com port are 9600 8-N-1 (which is what it is set to). I tried swapping the rx and tx pins last night but didn't even get the messages to output on the command window. I figured I would throw this out to the community before I started retrying soldering connections again.

FYI I am a software engineer and have a bachelors in computer engineering (and a lot of experience with Microchip PICs), so feel free to be as technical as needed. Hopefully I have provided enough info to at least get a sense of where I am at. If there is any more information I can provide feel free to ask. I have added debug=1 to my overrides file, but without basic communication it doesn't do me much good.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Mike

Did you have the saber on (LED and Sounds running) when you were trying to use R.I.C.E.?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The primary switch was in the off position (no sound or main LEDs) but power was flowing to the controller (neither the kill key nor a recharge cable was plugged in and illuminated primary light was lit). It was basically in idle mode every time I tried.

I did notice that whenever I activate a function in the editor the small indicator under the saber connection status lights yellow for a quick second. I did verify that if I unplug the cable neither that light nor any commands show up. That seems to indicate at least a basic handshake is succeeding when the cable is plugged in. I do have access to a mac and can try that to try to rule out any driver related issues.

I would recharge the battery, then turn the saber on and then try to connect to it via RICE. That should work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yes, the saber does need to be ON before RICE can be used. I don't think that's explained in the manual, but it is a necessary step.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

So I figured it out. It was actually the intersection of 2 different problems. First, it looks like the pinout of the type 1 RICE port is reversed from the type 2, and the type 2 is what is shown in the manual. The 2nd problem is a bad port. I have to put pressure sideways to get it to make a good enough connection that it will talk. I'm liking the interactive color chooser. I burned through my battery just checking out all of the color/flicker options available . Thanks for your help guys.