Thread: Wiring Diagram - First Saber O.o

Default Wiring Diagram - First Saber O.o

Hey folks, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I always have a hard time navigating forums ^_^

Anyway... I'm trying to build a saber, most of the parts I bought from Ultrasabers before I discovered The Custom Saber Shop.

I'm using a MR sound board with one of Ultra's led's (not sure what kind of led... but it's red)

Typically, without sound, I would just slap a 1000ma buckpuck in before the led. But I've read here that the voltage from 2x lithium ion 3.7v's would fry my board?

What if I placed a 5v regulator before the board... would that save the board? Would I still need resistors after the board but before the led to regulate the flow the led gets? Here is a diagram of what I'm thinking. I've seen some stuff like this on here... but I'm really nervous so I would like a definitive answer of "yes that will work" or "no that wont work and this is why" also, if I do need a resistor for the led, how do I figure out what type of resistor? I'm not that experienced with circuits

So here is my diagram, red is positive, black is negative

On the soundboard, purple is the led/clash positive, grey is the clash negative; blue, green, yellow, peach, orange, brown are the led negative; the two blue wires at the bottom are for the switch; stars represent where I think I need to place a component to keep the board or led from getting too much juice.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks!

P.S. I kind of did it wrong the first time, an led popped and the board smoked a bit. Heh, the board seems to still work fine... I have not really used it since then. This is why I'm asking xD
    Last edited by scorchmark; 10-04-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Actually, I have a very nice MR board setup (ROTJ Luke, I believe) with a single 18650 Lith-ion set up built by LDM/General Greivous for study purposes and it works beautifully driving a cyan 3W and 2 accent lights so I would suspect that the dual lith-ion pack is unnecessary and hence the 5W regulator. I would wait for someone else who is more knowledgeable to double check whether there may be any issues with too much current for a Red LED since I actually haven't done a build yet that used a red LED (just whites, blues and golds...) and the red Luxeons don't like working at above 700Ma. If you would like, I can take a photo of my board, and post it here. Let me know.

Johannes