Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very first custom saber!

Force Aware

Default Very first custom saber!

I've known of the saber scene for a while now, but only recently decided to out some effort and money into building my own. This will be a record of progress for my first project, and feedback would be greatly appreciated! I wasn't going to try anything too crazy for my first design, though, seeing as I don't have any sort of dremel or epoxy to work with at the moment. I intend on investing in both eventually! The following will be a few pictures to chart progress that I've made so far.

This would be my very basic humble beginning. All I really thought at the time was that I found my base and emitter piece.
    IMAG0597.jpg
    This would be the time I had(recently) bought another piece to cut and attach to my hilt, along with some O-rings and vynl tape.
    IMAG0601.jpg
    After making use of the previously mentioned purchases, I've left off here with my basic saber hilt almost done.
    IMAG0603.jpg

Once I've made peace with the decorating of the hilt, I plan on purchasing a thick walled polycarbonate blade with a green tint and one of the shop's 1.25" sink tube blade holders to finish it off for a short while. Unfortunately, until I get some more spare cash, I can't use electronics to power my blade, but I definitely plan to later in the future using the Build Your Own Seoul P4 kit here on the shop.

Force Aware

This would be my latest hilt status!
    IMAG0604.jpg
    I plan on getting my blade and holder soon thoi week, so expect more pictures soon!

A good start. Very impressive for something as a first build. Are you doing any electronics? Check out some of the parts TCSS has for sinktube you may find more inspiration there as well.

Force Aware

Thanks, man! I do plan on eventually outfitting it with a Seoul P4 setup, but that will be much later due to a lack of the necessary funds :P>

I love a good hardware saber. They remind me of my early days building sabers.

A question: is that electrical tape you're using for grip material? It's fine if you just want a decorative saber, but it'll come loose and get your hands all sticky if you try to do any dueling with it. Paint, powder coating, spray-on truck bed liner, all are better for grip material.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Force Aware

Thanks for the advice on the grip! I definitely should have been a bit smarter on that decision, oh well xP> Spray on bed liner seemed like a very interesting investment. Maybe I'll use that on my next one!

I still have my first sink saber hanging on my wall above my computer. It's a great reminder of how humble all of us saber builders start. I epoxyed on leather strips for my grips. It seems to still hold years later. I love how hefty your saber is looking, got a good weight to it?
    _____________,.~-{o}-~.,____________

Force Aware

Quote Originally Posted by MrCafe View Post
    I still have my first sink saber hanging on my wall above my computer. It's a great reminder of how humble all of us saber builders start. I epoxyed on leather strips for my grips. It seems to still hold years later. I love how hefty your saber is looking, got a good weight to it?
    Yes sir! My estimate would be about maybe 1.5 pounds? I'm intending to use it as a two-handed saber once it's got it's blade assembly!

Yes! Keep us updated.
    _____________,.~-{o}-~.,____________

Force Aware

Good news! My blade assembly has come in and I'm closer to the end product. I've disregarded the thought of electronics for now, seeing as it will be quite a while before I can purchase them and the tools required for such an addition. However, I did order a thick walled green blade for my saber as it will be used for casual dueling and tomfoolery. The bad news is that before I can even attempt to affix the blade, I need to get a new power drill. XD>