Thread: Müll: A Random Graflex Saber

Default Müll: A Random Graflex Saber

Many years ago, a friend gave me two Graflex flash units. He knew that I built lightsabers and he thought that I might like these. Of course I did like them, even though these ones were not used as lightsabers. These particular flashes were used in the ****pit of the X-wing, as well as for Boba Fett's ESB blaster.
    Not knowing what to do with these flashes, I did the obvious thing and turned one of them into a lightsaber. I started this project a long time ago and only got so far as cutting the flash. After that, I stopped; I had other projects.
    But today, I was bored, so I decided to pick the flash back up and continue the project.
    This hilt is powered by a buckpuck, with a blue Seoul P4; I had them lying around.
    I "named" the saber Müll because it is a collection of random stuff, it is essentially a "garbage" hilt.
    photo (3).jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (5).jpgphoto (4).jpgphoto (6).jpg

More photos, showing the shroud work.
    photo (1).jpgphoto.jpg
    Last edited by Renaissance Jedi; 07-03-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Finished Müll. I am actually quite pleased with how it turned out. I painted the emitter shroud black because I think it goes better with the rest of the hilt, and also because it recalls the actual flash unit design a bit more. The half of the shroud that has the screws in it is exactly the same shape as the switch box of the original flash. I was going to use the switch box from the flash unit, but I didn't like the way it stuck off the hilt.
    Mull; graflex saber 007.jpgMull; graflex saber 008.jpgMull; graflex saber 009.jpg

The screws that I used to hold down the shroud are the screws from the flash that were used to hold the switch housing in place. I like to use as much of the original flash as possible.
    Mull; graflex saber 010.jpg

Here is a shot of the beauty on:
    Mull; graflex saber 011.jpg
    Last edited by Renaissance Jedi; 07-03-2013 at 08:51 PM.

And a few more shots.
    I made a blade plug, much like the one for my tribute to Slothfurnace's Derelict, for this saber, so the light from the LED is filtered in this shot. It is much to bright to look at or photograph unfiltered.
    Mull; graflex saber 012.jpg

A bit of cram-fu, and the saber is complete.
    Mull; graflex saber 014.jpg

Is that a 9V battery?

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

It certainly looks like one.

9v batteries are very bad to use with high powered LEDs. They don't provide the necessary current that the LEDs require. At best, you get a "functional" saber for 5-15 minutes, and it's dim for most of that time. At worst, the battery overheats, ruptures, and leaks corrosive material inside your saber.

If that is a 9v battery, then you really need to switch to a different battery solution. AAA or AA alkalines will work (minimum of 4 to power the buckpuck).

I would also shorten the covertec screw a bit. The exposed screw inside the hilt could end up rubbing through wire insulation and cause an electrical short.
    Last edited by Silver Serpent; 07-10-2013 at 05:24 AM.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I used a 9v simply for the a bit. I've switched it out now for 4 AAAs. The 9v was just sitting on my work table at the time, so I used it. Fear not, I can be sensible with my batteries... sometimes...
    Last edited by Renaissance Jedi; 07-18-2013 at 08:27 PM.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love sabers that look like they came right out of the original series. Great Job!
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    -Marcus Aurelius, one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome

Thanks Skinnerman02. I am always happy to hear good things about my projects. Thanks!