Thread: Pommel Clip

Default Pommel Clip

Hello,

This is a request for advice,

I've got a pommel style 4 and a insert style 13 held in by one of the MPS Clips; I want to remove the clip and insert.

I've discovered that when both a rice and recharge port are inserted into the pommel insert they both hit the clip and thus don't allow the insert to rotate freely in the pommel. This is going to make it hard to screw together the hilt once the hardware wired/connected so I want to get the clip out and file down the eyelet sections (I don't know if that's the right word for this) of the clip so that the ports don't hit the clip. Does anyone know of a good/easy way to get one of the clips out of a pommel? I tried with the pliers I used to get them in but all I managed to do with give myself a blister and almost damage the pommel.

Cheers.

You need a pair of retaining/snap ring pliers, they are designed to be used with the retaining/snap rings. They look and work very much like normal pliers, but have tips designed to fit the holes of the retaining ring, and squeeze or stretch the rings as necessary.

Brilliant - Thanks for that.

Yeah those eyelets are used to make it easy to insert and remove the clips with special pliers, if you file them down you'll be making it much harder to put it back in or remove in future. There's a reason I've heard them called Jesus Christ pins (its what you say as they fly accross the shop and land in the hardest to reach corner). Could you counter twist the wires before screwing the pommel on? then as you thread the pommel you 'd be untwisting the wires.

Two things:

-Some retaining ring pliers are not long enough to adequately serve for installing/removing the retaining rings in MHS pommels. I use Round Nose jewelers' pliers to get around this, although it is not the "right" tool for the job and should not be regarded as completely safe. More times than I can count, I have had these retaining rings randomly spring out of the pliers' grip and shoot across the room with (for all I know) potentially deadly velocity. If you have to use another tool to remove the clip, BE CAREFUL.

-Pommel Insert Discs do rotate, but not as easily as one might expect. Depending on the type, you can force the disc to remain stationary as you screw on the pommel. I tend to use short-nose pliers with narrow tips for this purpose. Without seeing a picture of the problem you're encountering, that's the best solution I have.

Can we see a picture of exactly how these ports interfere with the clip and the disc's ability to rotate?
    Last edited by Weaver; 06-23-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Oh the inserts turns which is what I need it to do as this insert had a recharge and rice port screwed into it, however these ports actually hit the widest section of the clip so you have to turn the clip with the insert.

Thank you for the advice though. I will go to the shops and see what I can find.